Sign in with
Your question

What could this mean?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 4:41:06 PM

okay i just posted a question about my motherboard and cpu not starting up. but i found something that could be helpful in answering it.

i took all power connections off my motherboard except for the 24 pin and the 4 pin cpu fan! not the 4 pin cpu power. and she runs, fans go, so that means my cpu cant be bad right?

so i shut it off and plugged in the 4 pin cpu power and it doesnt start.
so could i have a short there or something gone wrong.

More about : question

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 5:51:10 PM

Be sure the 4 pin cpu power is the right one. And check your motherboard specs sheet under "cpu support". You may need a bios flash to run your cpu; the bios versions should be listed next to your cpu on the manufacturer's webpage under "cpu support". I always take the board out of the case when it won't post. Use all the connections except the optical and hardrives; and case connections for the power switch, power led, etc. With the power supply leads connected, touch the power switch leads with a flat screwdriver until it powers up. Set the boot order and memory voltage (if needed) in the bios, save and exit.
m
l
January 30, 2010 1:53:41 AM

Yes before assembling with you mobo always check the mobo website for mobo-cpu compatibility. Always refer to the manual or better well download the latest manual from their website, before flashing your mobo. I usually take out the mobo from the case when it won't post, just the mobo and cpu. I have a little speaker installed to the mobo to check its vital signs. Be careful in using a screwdriver to switch On your mobo.
m
l
!