Sign in with
Your question

USB mouse identified but won't work/PCI Controller?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 7, 2012 10:12:17 PM

I cleaned up an older (4+ years) PC running XP and now when I try to set it up again, I get a PCI Simple Communications Controller message that asks me to insert a disc.

The brand new USB plug-and-play mouse I purchased is identified but doesn't work (I believe the new keyboard does work). Any ideas on what I can try - and how I can access the computer in DOS to use command prompts to navigate and hopefully fix the problem?

Could I have accidentally uninstalled software I needed to keep on the computer? Do I need updated drivers for the mouse? Could registry errors be the problem? Should I try to uninstall and re-install the operating system, or use the rescue discs I created years ago? Do I have two separate issues? I need a working mouse!

HELP!
January 8, 2012 9:46:10 AM

amflint said:
I cleaned up an older (4+ years) PC running XP and now when I try to set it up again, I get a PCI Simple Communications Controller message that asks me to insert a disc.

The brand new USB plug-and-play mouse I purchased is identified but doesn't work (I believe the new keyboard does work). Any ideas on what I can try - and how I can access the computer in DOS to use command prompts to navigate and hopefully fix the problem?

Could I have accidentally uninstalled software I needed to keep on the computer? Do I need updated drivers for the mouse? Could registry errors be the problem? Should I try to uninstall and re-install the operating system, or use the rescue discs I created years ago? Do I have two separate issues? I need a working mouse!

HELP!

Plug in a conventional mouse, to get you going.

PCI Simple Comm Controller:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8243060_install-pci-simple-comm...

http://www.pcidatabase.com./
m
l
January 8, 2012 12:35:24 PM

ksiemb said:
Plug in a conventional mouse, to get you going.

PCI Simple Comm Controller:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8243060_install-pci-simple-comm...

http://www.pcidatabase.com./

+1 for you. Plus after you buy the New Mouse, you need to look at your information that came with the mouse, go to that website and download other drivers/devices for your mouse. Hope this helps.
Sometimes older Input devices can be so much better. I miss the old ball. lol
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 3:13:40 PM

amflint said:

HELP!

Isn't a USB mouse a conventional mouse? Besides wireless, what other type of mouse would I use? The computer has always used a USB mouse. Why would the system identify it, but it won't work?
m
l
January 8, 2012 4:23:01 PM

amflint said:
Isn't a USB mouse a conventional mouse? Besides wireless, what other type of mouse would I use? The computer has always used a USB mouse. Why would the system identify it, but it won't work?

This is a convential mouse.
If it is a PS/2 wire, which has a colored end with multiple prongs inside, find the matching color port to the mouse and plug it in. Typically, there will be a small picture of a computer mouse next to the correct port and the color of the port will be green.
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:08:50 AM

Right. PS/2 adapter. you can also look up (on the computer your having trouble with, if you can get online) whatever the brand computer, go to that website, for instance (hp.com) look up drivers and support or automatic detection. From there you can download all sorts of devices and software.
m
l
!