stevethefrans

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Am I better off upgrading an existing Dell PowerEdge 2600 Server with 4 new drives of 3x capacity, Max Ram and/or new Xeon(s); then reconfiguring the Arrays OR Buy a new one!!!?

Solution
I'd definitely buy a new server - that thing is ancient.
A new server will be at least 3 generations ahead in all aspects and will be tremendously more powerful.
I would also expect a new server to be much cheaper than the upgrades proposed, if you can even obtain compatible components.

Depends on what you're using it for. If you need more storage space then of course it makes sense to upgrade the storage. If you need more performance though, it probably makes more sense just to get a newer server, especially if your server is an older model that only deals with older netburst CPUs.

stevethefrans

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
The Owner has kept the unit pristine...really...detailed. He would like to improve performance as well as capacity. It has 4 Intel Xeon 3.06 Processors and < 4 Gb of RAM. I 'suspect' that a significant improvement in performance should be expected without upgrading everything; but my client wants to upgrade it all OR obtain an entirely new server.

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'd definitely buy a new server - that thing is ancient.
A new server will be at least 3 generations ahead in all aspects and will be tremendously more powerful.
I would also expect a new server to be much cheaper than the upgrades proposed, if you can even obtain compatible components.

Solution

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Hmmm....I dont think I have ever heard someone say a server has been kept pristine or detailed? I mean its not like we take them outside or anything. A 4 or 5 year old server should look like it came out of the box - unless of course the server is in an old shoe closet (which I have seen).

Was it wiped down with Armorall (TM)? ;)

Keep the dust down or controlled and they will serve you well for many years....

TRENDING THREADS