Sign in with
Your question

Removing square white outline from desktop w/red X in upper left corner of squar

Last response: in Windows XP
January 8, 2012 3:01:46 AM

Hello,
On my opening desktop background, I have a white line square outline, with a small white square w/red X in the upper left corner. How do I remove it from the screen - it stays there no matter what I put on the background. I got it when putting an original photograph on my desktop background.
January 9, 2012 6:43:04 PM

Go back into the Display Properties.
Select the Desktop tab.
Choose Customize Desktop.
Select the Web tab.
Uncheck and/or delete any web pages listed.
Hit OK twice.
January 16, 2012 3:36:13 AM

It's still there, i.e., the square outline. In the web tab, there was a former address for my old desktop background, which I deleted, and my current desktop, which I unchecked. The ok would only let me hit it once - it wouldn't hit twice. I have Windows XP 3sp for a format os. I followed your instructions to the "T"!
Related resources
January 19, 2012 2:34:48 AM

I got this square outline when I was trying to take one picture out of my desktop background and put in another with my Picasa 3 software. Maybe this additional info will be of help! Any help will be tried and appreciated!
July 2, 2012 11:25:15 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Go back into the Display Properties.
Select the Desktop tab.
Choose Customize Desktop.
Select the Web tab.
Uncheck and/or delete any web pages listed.
Hit OK twice.

Thank you PhilFrisbie! That little white square has been on my desktop for years!!

Just uploaded a new photo of my boys and it fenced in one of their noses. This was the first thing I Oogled and it worked - no bother.
!