I7 920 on E758 board... anyone have OC baselines to try?

aaron7

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I'm still running a 920 on my trusty EVGA E758 motherboard. Would like to overclock a bit to get the most out of the system before upgrading!

Last year I had it stable at 3.9GHz but lost my settings due to a BIOS crash when trying to push it further.

I really have no idea what I'm doing and just copied settings from others online.

Running a simple liquid cooler that keeps it decently cool.

Anyone else with this combo care to share their proven overclocking settings?

christop

Distinguished
There is not really a true setting for an oc cause all chips are not the same. You can try google for a guide. When I first learned to oc I would write down the setting before I saved the setting in my bios in case the oc failed. It all about trial and error. Good luck.

I have the same EVGA Classified motherboard and an i7-920 CPU. I am running at 3.82 GHz for over 18 months. Very stable and temps around 30 degrees C idle (right now 25 degs C as I type this). Apps open are 5 internet tabs and Photoshop.

Here are my settings:

Bus Speed - 182 MHz
Voltage - 1.270 (max. is 1.375 V)
RAM - 1,452 MHz (underclocked from 1,600 MHz which is fine).

I have a medium class heatsink; not the best. It is a Cooler master V8.
I did polish the heatsink base flat. I left the CPU heat spreader alone.

Hope this helps.

aaron7

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
christop, I don't believe that to be true. I know identical processors may overclock differently but I wasn't asking for optimal settings; just known good overclocks.

Ubrales, are those the only settings you changed? Last time I was OC'ed at 3.9GHz I hadn't touched my RAM speed. What about the QPI, VTT, PLL settings?

Thanks for the help!

This is the guide I used: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263043-29-1156-core-core-overclocking-guide

I started out by using the LOWEST RAM multiplier. Then I increased the bus speed in small increments. I had to raise the voltage slightly to prevent BSOD. Ended up with 1.270 Volts; very stable, and good temps. - I didn't have to tweak anything else, but made sure that the resulting settings were within specified limits.

At a higher RAM multiplier, the RAM frequency went beyond the designed 1,600 MHz; that's why I lowered the RAM frequency such that the RAM speed was 1,452 which is within the stated 1,600 MHz frequency.

I used EVGA's ELEET as a guide when doing all this, and made sure that no setting was over the limits. Very conservative approach.