I7 920 on E758 board... anyone have OC baselines to try?

I'm still running a 920 on my trusty EVGA E758 motherboard. Would like to overclock a bit to get the most out of the system before upgrading!

Last year I had it stable at 3.9GHz but lost my settings due to a BIOS crash when trying to push it further.

I really have no idea what I'm doing and just copied settings from others online.

Running a simple liquid cooler that keeps it decently cool.

Anyone else with this combo care to share their proven overclocking settings?
6 answers Last reply
More about e758 board baselines
  1. There is not really a true setting for an oc cause all chips are not the same. You can try google for a guide. When I first learned to oc I would write down the setting before I saved the setting in my bios in case the oc failed. It all about trial and error. Good luck.
  2. I have the same EVGA Classified motherboard and an i7-920 CPU. I am running at 3.82 GHz for over 18 months. Very stable and temps around 30 degrees C idle (right now 25 degs C as I type this). Apps open are 5 internet tabs and Photoshop.

Here are my settings:

Bus Speed - 182 MHz
    Voltage - 1.270 (max. is 1.375 V)
    RAM - 1,452 MHz (underclocked from 1,600 MHz which is fine).

I have a medium class heatsink; not the best. It is a Cooler master V8.
    I did polish the heatsink base flat. I left the CPU heat spreader alone.

Hope this helps.
  3. christop, I don't believe that to be true. I know identical processors may overclock differently but I wasn't asking for optimal settings; just known good overclocks.

Ubrales, are those the only settings you changed? Last time I was OC'ed at 3.9GHz I hadn't touched my RAM speed. What about the QPI, VTT, PLL settings?

Thanks for the help!
  4. This is the guide I used: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263043-29-1156-core-core-overclocking-guide

I started out by using the LOWEST RAM multiplier. Then I increased the bus speed in small increments. I had to raise the voltage slightly to prevent BSOD. Ended up with 1.270 Volts; very stable, and good temps. - I didn't have to tweak anything else, but made sure that the resulting settings were within specified limits.

At a higher RAM multiplier, the RAM frequency went beyond the designed 1,600 MHz; that's why I lowered the RAM frequency such that the RAM speed was 1,452 which is within the stated 1,600 MHz frequency.

I used EVGA's ELEET as a guide when doing all this, and made sure that no setting was over the limits. Very conservative approach.
  5. Hmm, ok thanks. I'll download that Eleet utility so I don't have to keep going into the bios!
  6. aaron7 said:
    Hmm, ok thanks. I'll download that Eleet utility so I don't have to keep going into the bios!

Once you have everything working stable by using ELEET, note down the settings and do the final OC in the BIOS.

Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Intel i7