IPod causing PC new problems; Finally diagnosed iPod as cause of probs

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
OK, so today I tried booting up iTunes to put some new music on my iPod I had just ripped off of a CD. I clicked on the shortcut, and nothing ever came up. Same thing was happening with Spybot, and a re-install fixed that, so I reinstalled iTunes. Same problem. So I tried installing it to my C:\ instead of my second HDD. Same problem. Also, whenever I go into My Computer and click on the J:\ (My Ipod) it just freezes. (This same problem has always been happening, but occasionally only failing when I tried transferring files) So then, while waiting for iTunes to boot and My Computer to unfreeze, I unplugged my iPod to listen to it since I was very bored indeed. BOOM, all of a sudden, 'My Computer' unfroze, and iTunes instantly popped up.

So, iTunes and everything works fine now, providing the iPod is unplugged. If I plug it in while iTunes is running, it does nothing for about 4 seconds, then freezes, and of course, unfreezes as soon as I unplug the iPod.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Oh yeah, and this is likely the cause of most if not, ALL the problems my PC has been having since I built it. I hasn't frozen all day today since I unplugged the iPod, and remember that my iPod has been plugged in from when I first posted my newly built machine until I discovered this today.

try a different USB port? try plugging the iPod into a USB port on the backplate of the mobo as opposed to a case USB port or USB hub. you could try to reformat/delete all the content on the iPod and reload everything. perform an anti-virus/malware/rootkit scan to ensure there are no baddies lurking on your machine. try snagging the latest windows/iTunes/application updates and latest drivers, specifically any USB updates/drivers.

Personally, I would ditch the iPod and buy a Cowon 32GB S9 media player, but some folks are attached to their iPods so that may not be an option for you.

lastly, always list your specs when asking for help and do not assume that anyone in these forums remembers when you you first posted about your newly built machine.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

It's always plugged directly into the mobo. Virus scans completed daily. Vista SP1 and iTunes 8.2.1 Installed.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
EVGA GTX 275
Core i7 920 Non-Overclocked
OCZ Vertex 60GB (iTunes is here)
WD Caviar Black 1TB
ASUS My Cinema PHC3-100 TV Card
Antec 900
LG Blu-Ray, 2x Smasung DVD, and 1x External DVD
External Floppy and Media Readers
6GB OCZ 1600 RAM
Corsair 750TX
Vista HP 64-bit
XIGMATEK Dark Knight

And my iPod is 120GB, better than 32. Plus I'm not gonna spend extra money when my iPod works fine.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Try using AVG Free antivirus, just last week it found iTunes to be infested with viruses. Uninstall iTunes, run a FULL computer scan AND delete the installer if you still have it, and then re-download iTunes/QT from Apple and reinstall it. This is what I did to get rid of it. In my case iTunes simply did not work, but I didn't try it with my iPod in. I would say it's a long shot, but worth a try.