Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 upgrade problem

dumbarranger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I am trying to upgrade my computer to Win7.

I have had a 4-hard drive system on it for almost 18 months. I decided to disconnect a couple of the hard drives in order to find the one I wanted to reformat and install Win7 on. After I disconnected 2 Hard drives, I could not get a signal to the video. I played around, then got a signal. I have connected/disconnected the hard drives again, but - no video.

Video is hooked up, and I have reset the CLR_CMOS

Can anyone help?

dumbarranger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Dear ZipZoom,

I never said anything about having Windows 7 for 18 months, I said "I have had a 4-hard drive system on it for almost 18 months." Obviously, since windows 7 was not available, one might infer that I was using another OS. So, it is your response that makes less sense.

I also need to not take anything for granted. You assume that I do not know how to plug in my video card or that my monitor whould be plugged into the wall in order to run.

Since I built this sytem, I am pretty aware of the importance of plugging power cords into the wall; however, sine a lot of people comehere without that knowledge, I guess I need to be more clear in all explanations.

Maybe you can help knowing this:

1. All plugs are plugged into the wall.
2. monitor is plugged into video card at the card - not through a built-in video slot.
3. The video card is NEW - just been replaced.
4. The keyboard and mouse are plugged in.
5. The main power box to the house is ON and the electric bill has been paid

I have had a problem for the past few days. when I disconnected two of the drives, things still worked. Then I turned the machine off and it would not turn on. I reconnected the two drives and the machine started. The next day I started it up = no problem. I stopped the machine and disconnected two drives so that I could install Windows 7 on a clean drive by itself. The machine would not start. I reconnected the drives - no deal - it would not start. I removed all hard drives and wires, plugged in one hard drive with the WinXP OS - no video, not even any beeps that things were starting up.

I then drove out and got a new video card and tried that - no deal.

SO - at this point - unless someone can tell me that there is some setting I am missing, I assume it is the MOBO.

Any ideas beyond the usual "plug it in" advice?

How can you be trying to upgrade to windows 7, if you already had it for 18months? lol That makes no sense.

Anyways, re-seat your video card and make sure the video card power is connected to the card. Then check that your monitor is plugged into the wall and plugged into the video card, not the mobo.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
reset the cmos and see what happens. i find it had to believe that the mobo would magically fail after 18+ months at the same time you removed the hard drives. can you get into the bios with no hard drives?

dumbarranger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks

I have tried to reset the CMOS already. I am getting nothing on the video screen. It is not even receiving a signal. The hard drives are ot even spinning. The screen reads "no input" - I have done this on 2 different video monitors

It may be possible that I somehow shorted the MOBO out, but I was very careful to remain grounded.

Could there be some kind of wire that came loose? I will look around and check.

dumbarranger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
ok - I can see your point - you have a right to be angry based on what I now know about your job. Please understand mine - and I will explain it because I think it may help you to help other frustrated people in the future. I am not someone who tries to do things that I cannot. I would not try and build my own car or rebuild a transmission. but a computer is neither and I learned to build out of necessity. My last job was working for an extremely rich and prestigious university; however, my boss was so cheap that he told me he would not buy me a computer - I had to go to the surplus store and buy a used one that was two generations behind what I needed. Since he was an idiot, I went around him, and bought the parts through various companies from my budget and right under his nose. I then bought several books on building a computer, went and asked questions of the IT people, and even had a computer engineering student help me build my first computer. I made mistakes, some of them dumb, and it cost me; however, I never made the same mistake twice.

Now, I often seek advice on these"expert" blogs. You say you get frustrated with people who forget the simple things. Well, I find it frustrating to get the same dumb advice over and over. For example, my dryer broke down and I tried to find out what I could to fix it. In the past fixing dryers was an easy task - a motor, a drum and a pully, badabing, done! Now we have computer parts in our dryers! When I finally did get tech support on the phone, they read me the stuff in the dryer manual. I told them, nicely, that I have a manual and I tried all of the stuff in it. They said they had nothing more to tell me. -- I get that a lot. I have even written in some blogs exactly the steps I have taken. and people still start with the same dumb advice - even though I had stated that I already did it. These people can't think. They read a "script" that tells them "first do this, then do this" ... and no matter what you tell them, they just read the script.

We live in a country where people do not think. A small part breaks down on a car and they replace an entire section of an engine even though a washer or a gasket would have done the trick. People do not understand theory and real mechanics are gone. .

Perhaps I was short with you and I apologize. I probably should have explained more; I assumed that there would be someone here that would give me expert advice. Therefore, I will not bother you with anything further; however, in the future, why not simply ask the person what steps they have already taken instead of assuming they are idiots (though I am sure many are). Maybe even start with the more advanced stuff and see if they say. Please understand the following - it is not meant as a brag it is about people like me - many of whom do a lot of their own things. I have several advanced degrees along with several years worth of engineering credits (I left engineering because the advanced level courses I was taking as an undergrad were too easy - I was unaware of my gifts). Anyway, many of us do know enough to plug in the monitor, seat the card correctly, check the manuals to make sure a power cable inside the machine have not come undone and even reset the CMOS, sometimes by removing the battery for a few minutes. Building a computer is really not rocket science if one can read - it is not like programming or creating a new program. Many who do it are quite capable. Those who are not usually give up.

Thank you anyway, I wish you the best.

muchlife

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
you havent told us what kind of hard drives. zipzoomfly is right about assuming the basics since your not providing sufficient info. are you using sata or IDE? hard drives rarely have ANYTHING to do with a problem such as not displaying video, but i've seen motherboards that freak out when IDE drives have jumpers wrong, failing to boot past bios.

If your using sata though, i dont see how your hard drive being plugged in or not could affect the video display, UNLESS something on your motherboard broke/fried.

dsnooks70

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Sounds like a bricked power supply to me. Is the power supply still functional? no spin up on the drives seems pretty odd. The mobo should have a small LED somewhere that lights up when the power supply is plugged into the mobo (even when the system is "off") If that LED is on but the drives aren't spinning up there's a pretty good chance the power supply finally bought the farm.

I mention this because it is easier and cheaper to swap a power supply ... it would righteously suck to swap out the mobo and still have the same issues.

dumbarranger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
well everyone - it was not the hard drive - like I said - I have had the computer for 18 months and the drives were not an issue.

Also - it is not the power supply, the power supply was turning on, but nothing happened.

It was the mobo.