Your question

Gaming CPU - Dual vs Quad

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Quad
Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2009 2:45:45 PM

I was reading this article the other day and it pretty much said that the best bang for your buck gaming CPU would be a faster dual core instead of a slower quad core. Looking at gaming computers, such as Alienware, I always see them with quad cores. I am wondering if the article is accurate or not?

More about : gaming cpu dual quad

a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 2:58:55 PM

Accurate....

and almost 18 months old....
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 2:59:43 PM

Quad cores are now better since they have dropped to a price low enough that they are comparable to higher end dual-cores.

As for gaming, fast dual cores are slightly better since games don't use more than 2 cores yet...but you can overclock a quad core so each individual core reaches the speed of a dual core.

So if you're going for a cheap/medium end build, go for a $70-$120 dual core. If you're going for a higher end build, go for a quad core.

m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2009 3:03:09 PM

So games pretty much just care about the speed of the processor and not the amount of cores? So when will games start to use more then two cores? Will it be in like a year or 5 years?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 3:53:18 PM

icu222much said:
I was reading this article the other day and it pretty much said that the best bang for your buck gaming CPU would be a faster dual core instead of a slower quad core. Looking at gaming computers, such as Alienware, I always see them with quad cores. I am wondering if the article is accurate or not?

Since when does Alienware have good bang for buck? :) 
m
l
!