Solved

Am I short a 2x4 Power Connector?

Well... My power supply only comes with Two 2x2 12v power connecters. One of them goes into the main 2X12 holes along with a 2x10. My Motherboard requires another power connection that is 2x4. It is my understanding that I can use two 2x2 12v's to power this.... although the power supply I puchased only came with 1 other one (than the one that is in the 2x12 slot). Is it ok just to use one 2x2 12v instead of a 2x4?


Any reccomendations?


My motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128397

My PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341029&cm_re=ocz_power_supply-_-17-341-029-_-Product
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about short power connector
  1. Yes, the 4 pin CPU power will work. It should be keyed so it only fits in one way.
  2. aford10 said:
    Yes, the 4 pin CPU power will work. It should be keyed so it only fits in one way.


    Awesome man, I will test it out and edit my post with the results:)
  3. Best answer
    What CPU are you using ?? - in most cases the 2x2 (4 pin CPU) plug will work for the 2x4 (8 pin CPU MOBO connector) - the manual for the MOBO should tell you what part of the plug to place the connector in leaving the other 4 pins empty ! - THe only time this will not work is if you have a CPU that needs more power than the single 4 pin plug can provide ( ie. it may be a stretch for running a 140W AMD CPU but will be fine for the lower wattage CPU's ) - IF you are using one of the 140W CPU's you may also need to get an adapter that will make a molex connector into a second 4 pin cpu adapter ( http://www.xpcgear.com/p412volt.html ) and place both into the 8 pin connector ) - since each wire can only pull so much wattage through it which is why they added the extra 4 pins to the newer MOBO's (8-pin vs. 4 pin) to support the higher power needs of these CPU's. SO it will deppend on the CPU you are using !!
  4. JDFan said:
    What CPU are you using ?? - in most cases the 2x2 (4 pin CPU) plug will work for the 2x4 (8 pin CPU MOBO connector) - the manual for the MOBO should tell you what part of the plug to place the connector in leaving the other 4 pins empty ! - THe only time this will not work is if you have a CPU that needs more power than the single 4 pin plug can provide ( ie. it may be a stretch for running a 140W AMD CPU but will be fine for the lower wattage CPU's ) - IF you are using one of the 140W CPU's you may also need to get an adapter that will make a molex connector into a second 4 pin cpu adapter ( http://www.xpcgear.com/p412volt.html ) and place both into the 8 pin connector ) - since each wire can only pull so much wattage through it which is why they added the extra 4 pins to the newer MOBO's (8-pin vs. 4 pin) to support the higher power needs of these CPU's. SO it will deppend on the CPU you are using !!



    I am using a AMD Athlon II 620 quad core. Do you think I need the adapter?
  5. No. The 4 pin CPU power should work just fine.
  6. Best answer selected by d3vo.
  7. Thank you everyone for (once again) helping me!


    I wish i could choose both of you guys for the best answer:'(
  8. Glad we could help !! - and as aford10 said you'll be fine with just the 4 pin the 620 is a 95W CPU so the 4 pin can provide plenty of power for it !
  9. d3vo said:
    Thank you everyone for (once again) helping me!


    I wish i could choose both of you guys for the best answer:'(


    Don't worry about that. We're here to help. Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Power Supplies Power Product