2600k + sli 580 liquid cooling

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello, i am helping my friend build his new computer but we are stuck. the system specs are,

intel core i7 2600k
asus maximus v mobo
sli gtx 580
2x 240gb sata 3 ssd
2x 2tb hdd
8gb corsair dominator ram
corsair ax1200 psu

the problem is, my friend would like to liquid cool the computer and since neither of us have used liquid cooling before, we need help. i would like to know how many rads do i need and what size, also, what kind of pump and reservoir would be optimal. my friend would like to fit all this in the fractal design define r3 but if necessary, the case can be changed.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You are going to need at least two, 3x120 rads for that loop...or some other similar size arrangement, whether one of those is a 200mm. That case looks really small, so unlikely you will get all of what you need INSIDE...likely need to consider external mounting.

Have you read through the sticky? It is linked in my signature below...might offer you some information to help answer questions.

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
So i read through the sticky and i would like to know if a black ice gts240 rad and a black ice gtx 240 rad would be enough. If so, what kind of pump and reservoir would be best for this.

Also, is there a way to increase the cooling performance of the liquid cooling setup without purchasing new radiators?

Since the 580s will have a slot of space between them... running on air the top card will run hotter as high as 85. I'll be water cooling soonish but the temps using air don't bother me. The 85 is hit on certain intense games. Crysis 2 really pushes the temps but most games don't and the top card runs in the 70s on average. I'm using the huge elysium case and will be putting 2 3x120mm radiators.

Look over all the water cooling products at frozencpu.com

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
To save on radiator costs while maximizing cooling performance, you could get one massive radiator and mount it on the side of the case that is behind your motherboard...

Something like this...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11760/ex-rad-123/Phobya_XTREME_Nova_1080_Radiator.html

You could buy the feet for it and set it outside of the case, or use some spacers and mount it on the side. Although from what I have read, it is a fairly restrictive radiator so a good pump like the MCP 655 or the MCP 35x would be recommended.

Reservoirs are just reservoirs... whatever works best for you.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So i read through the sticky and i would like to know if a black ice gts240 rad and a black ice gtx 240 rad would be enough. If so, what kind of pump and reservoir would be best for this.

Not really big on BIX rads...high FPI and requires high CFM fans...most don't like this. Any reason you chose those?

Also, is there a way to increase the cooling performance of the liquid cooling setup without purchasing new radiators?

Run better fans in push/pull on your radiators. This will maximize the cooling potential of your rad, but like anything else in life, at some point, you reach the limit to what it can do.

You also need to take into account that you will be using 4 drives. 2.5" or not, that's as many as 3 or 4 3.5" bays depending how you mount the SSDs. Some 2.5-3.5" adapters allow 2 SSDs stacked on each other, or a single adapter for each. Then also take into account that is 4 sata cables, and at least 1 power cable to drive them all. That eats up a lot of space in a case unless you get creative. You could custom make or order a molex to 4 sata power adapter cable from frozencpu.com. You could consider mounting the SSDs on the opposite side of the mobo tray somewhere, if the space is deep enough. Since you still have to get a rad/pump/reservoir in there somewhere... might be time to look for a new case, or go with the external method.

here's a video review and comparison of the r3 and a nzxt case. He's thorough and really goes into what can be done with the case.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToLiveCustoms#p/u/66/HkSP3JCzBc0

It notes the ax1200 will not fit in the case out of the box. you have to remove the floor ssd mount and that space wont be available for anything, fan, pump, etc.

You've taken on a decent challenge but the right choice in cases will make all the difference in the world.

You're probably already considering a new case but I brainstormed a little to try to come up with the best possible water cooling setup to fit in the case.

You'd have to mount the 2 HDDs in the 5.25" bay.

Remove the 3.5" bay entirely. Remove the floor SSD mount.

Mount a 2x120mm radiator where the the 3.5" bay sits. This would be for the graphics.

Mount a 2x120mm radiator on the roof for the cpu (alternatively, something like the corsair H100 fits in there)

Then all you have to do is figure out where to squeeze in a pump / reservoir and the 2 SSDs... not exactly simple.

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

i chose those two because they were well reviewed. so, i chose a thick one with high fin density for the top of the case and a thin one for the front.

You're probably already considering a new case but I brainstormed a little to try to come up with the best possible water cooling setup to fit in the case.

You'd have to mount the 2 HDDs in the 5.25" bay.

Remove the 3.5" bay entirely. Remove the floor SSD mount.

Mount a 2x120mm radiator where the the 3.5" bay sits. This would be for the graphics.

Mount a 2x120mm radiator on the roof for the cpu (alternatively, something like the corsair H100 fits in there)

Then all you have to do is figure out where to squeeze in a pump / reservoir and the 2 SSDs... not exactly simple.

that is probably what i will end up doing but i am considering switching to another case. is there any midtower case that could accommodate this (nameley the corsair 650d) or will i have to switch to full tower.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^This is a good question, but you are sorta hijacking the thread with it.

If you are meaning parallel by utilizing the multi-ports between full cover blocks, parallel will flow a little better. If you are talking about actually splitting using a Y-fitting in parallel, not recommended and you are better off with serial flow.

Me? Naah, never. I think I read the OP's mind and asked for him. :D

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
If you are meaning parallel by utilizing the multi-ports between full cover blocks, parallel will flow a little better. If you are talking about actually splitting using a Y-fitting in parallel, not recommended and you are better off with serial flow.

what is the difference between parallel and serial flow?

Rubix_101 -- here's an example of choosing parallel or serial for a SLI setup.

EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Parallel) EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Parallel)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10969/ex-blc-756/EK_FC_Bridge_Dual_Parallel_-_SLI_Connection_EK-FC_Bridge_DUAL_Parallel.html?tl=g30c101s873&id=gIBTiACe&mv_pc=2472

EK FC Bridge Dual Serial - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10970/ex-blc-757/EK_FC_Bridge_Dual_Serial_-_SLI_Connection_EK-FC_Bridge_DUAL_Serial.html?tl=g30c101s873&id=gIBTiACe&mv_pc=2477

Is this sort of like what you plan for SLI may2vol2?

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Is this sort of like what you plan for SLI may2vol2?

yes. i had the idea of building a serial setup. just after looking at the links, i wonder. is it better to use one of those bridges or simply connect the graphics cards using the fittings?

Also, are the evga gtx580 hydro copper 2 ftw cards any good?

I already knew you knew, but what you didn't maybe know is the exact implementation I had in mind when I was thinking of serial and parallel, as you had mentioned a Y splitter configuration.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
SLI bridges vs. using a Y-splitter? Yeah, I was looking for clarity on how you were specifying serial/parallel. Either of those would work...using those blocks, parallel would actually flow a little better, but either way will work very well.

may2vol2

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
ok, im almost finished with my parts list, i just have a few questions left.
1. will a 120x240 rad and a 200x200 rad be enough?
2. are noctua fans good for pulling/pushing air through the radiatiors?
3. Ist this reservoir any good ( http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13884/ex-res-300/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_w_Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_Installed.html?tl=g30c97s168)?
4. and lastly, out of curiosity, how does the digital storm sub zero thing work. i saw it on youtube and it really impressed me

TRENDING THREADS