Please help!

Just built my first computer with specs:

Intel core i7 (not overclocked)
GTX280 vid card
ASUS P6T MoBo
Corsair 750w PSU
6Gb corsair DDR3 RAM
Vista 64 bit OS

While playing games (GTA4, COD world at war), watching movies, anything is low fps (10 - 15).

I have checked all over the internet and found many options.
1. disable superfetch in vista.
- result: worked for awhile as long as I enabled and disabled it every time I started my computer. Stopped boosting my fps recently.
2. uninstalled latest driver (190.38) from Nvidia, did a clean sweep, then reinstalled
- result: worked one day now wont upon restart of computer.

I just don't understand! when it works i get a constant 91 fps in COD and great fps in grand theft auto. Is it a RAM issue? How come it works sometimes and not others?

Any ideas? please help!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Sounds like the GTX280 is down-clocking and not clocking back up when putting a load on it. If you have EVGA Precision Tool you can monitor it and see if that's the case.
I suggest you try a couple of different Drivers to see which gives you the best performance http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us You may want to use a Drive released prier to 185.85

PS: whenever installing a Driver you have not used before, monitor temps and make sure the fan is spinning (I tried 184.48 and the fan wasn't spinning, thankfully I noticed it before I did anything graphic intensive)

deltofhazard

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
"Oh let me run memtest on your computer and I'll let ya know.....LOL"

hey give me a break I just built my first computer and I really know nothing besides the basics... Don't be a jerk.