Sign in with
Your question

Former AMD CEO Ruiz Allegedly Involved in Insider Trading Case

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2009 4:42:42 PM

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6704218.html

Quote:
The case alleges that the Wall Street employees gained confidential information from an unnamed AMD executive on the company's plans to spin its manufacturing operations, known as GlobaFoundries as of early October 2008. The move was expected by many on Wall Street to increase AMD's stock price as it significantly lowered operating costs.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 4:50:52 PM

The Wall Street Journal reported it on Tuesday. I saw it in the paper, and was amused enough at the silence here that I decided to wait and see how long it took before someone brought it up.

2 Days.

October 28, 2009 4:58:05 PM

Someone brought it up on one of the Intel/AMD threads yesterday. But I was surprised it took that long.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 5:04:20 PM

Pretty pointless right now, there aren't enough details to make a decent discussion.

If charged and found guilty however, I hope he gets some islamic style justice from his current employers.
October 28, 2009 5:06:47 PM

jennyh said:
I hope he gets some islamic style justice from his current employers.

LOL.

I agree, not too many details right now. However, since it's on the Internet it must be true... jkjk

Scotteq said:
The Wall Street Journal reported it on Tuesday. I saw it in the paper, and was amused enough at the silence here that I decided to wait and see how long it took before someone brought it up.

2 Days.

I'm glad to be of use!
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 5:18:12 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I'm glad to be of use!

< checks appointment book > So... Shall we have the flame war at 5, then?
October 28, 2009 5:27:30 PM

5 is no good for me, lets move it up to 4.
October 28, 2009 6:00:00 PM

B-Unit said:
5 is no good for me, lets move it up to 4.

Naww, I'm not busy, let's move it up to now....

OMG. AMD are evil. AMD are cheating its investors. Buy Intel so you don't have to support evil insider trading. AMD are eating aborted fetuses.
October 28, 2009 6:07:27 PM

OOOO Dirty paid Spintel pumper!!!!!! Hector had to earn his paycheck somehow, lord knows AMD couldnt afford to pay him.
October 28, 2009 6:09:39 PM

This is END for Intel Evil!

There are 4 facts of Intel that none can ever deny:

1. INTEL makes ALL CANCER IN WORLD! The evil FSB of bloated chips radiates cancer causes. Intel even admits cancer: HERE.
Exlpoding laptop batteries are caused by the cancer waves as Sharikou undeniably proved.

2. AMD will CURE ALL CANCER. This is undeniable proven. AMD has cured Lance Armstrong of all cancer that Intel gave him!
see Armstrong being cured of all cancer by AMD chips!
Oh, you evil Intel fanbois say, why give Cancer to Armstrong? Ha Ha, so obvious, he use a BIKE to go so fast it make the primitive Intel BUS system seem slow, so they try to kill him! Heroic AMD save the day. Opterons cure cancer, Barcelona is proven to cure AIDS!

3. AMD will SOLVE Grobal Walming!! The evil fabois at pro-Intel site like Anand and totally fake 'Doctor' Tom use power meters that are cheating by optimize for Intel evil CPU. The power meters intentionally LIE about the fact that INTEL chips use WAY more power. But it is even worse, since they also LIE about AMD chips!! The Barcelona archictecture is SO advance (10 generations ahead of INTEL) that it MAKE power. This is proven in laptops that AMD gives away to poor countries for free to save the world. AMD will produce so MANY Barcelonas by 2008 that every poor child will have a laptop with a Barcelona that will educate AND POWER FULL VILLAGE WITH 0 POLLUTION!!! Evil Intel wants to stop this so it can make cancer instead!!

5. INTEL IS ALREADY BK!!! Do not believe some fanboi that says Intel makes money, or even paid Intel shill that try to be 'reasonable' by saying Intel BK in Q2 '08. Intel ALREADY BK, they just used last of money from Evil P4 cancer-chips to pay off pumpers on 'news' sites like CNN to lie and say they make money. Any intelligent person could see that Intel is 10 generations back of AMD how could they ever make any money? Total unpossibility!!

Once you learn truith, only then can you be truly objective industry analyst like Shakirou.

("The Burninator", June 1st, 2007)
October 28, 2009 7:05:43 PM

:D 

good post :p 
October 28, 2009 7:21:39 PM

jennyh said:
Pretty pointless right now, there aren't enough details to make a decent discussion.

If charged and found guilty however, I hope he gets some islamic style justice from his current employers.

lol ... at this as well as 'Doctor Tom'
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 28, 2009 9:06:01 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|TIN FOIL PACKET PROTECTION FROM NSA |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Leave it to the boneheads at the FBI and US Attorney's Office to uncover the worst kept secret in the IT world (while Wall Street financial institutions reamed US Taxpayers of trillions of dollars).

</end packet protection>
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 4:23:53 PM

Good one, Jenny. :) 

Upholds my belief that both corporations are merely (incredibly large) businesses, who produce "product". No more. No less.
Though I must admit to a certain amount of amusement, given what flys around the forums here on a regular basis.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 10:29:43 PM

I disagree. Even if Ruiz is found guilty of something here, it doesn't reflect poorly on AMD if AMD says and does the right thing afterwards.

Ditto for Global Foundries. If, however he is found guilty of some crime and remains in his position then questions should be asked.

It is pretty unlikely he'll be found guilty over anything, so using this as an excuse to reinforce your belief that AMD is crooked like intel is flat out wrong, for now.
October 29, 2009 10:43:15 PM

jennyh said:

watch it pal, you could offend someone by saying that.
October 29, 2009 11:00:53 PM

uncfan_2563 said:
watch it pal, you could offend someone by saying that.

Like who?
October 29, 2009 11:03:14 PM

people who aren't racists?
October 29, 2009 11:51:27 PM

This just out:
In a statement from AMD, they made it short
"WHEW!!!!!!, just in time!!"
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 12:40:49 AM

uncfan_2563 said:
people who aren't racists?

What?
October 30, 2009 1:29:46 AM

I think jennyh meant eye for an eye, which is a somewhat fair way to discribe Islamic justice.
Same as old Jewish law.
I wouldnt categorize that as being racist
October 30, 2009 1:41:45 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I think jennyh meant eye for an eye, which is a somewhat fair way to discribe Islamic justice.
Same as old Jewish law.
I wouldnt categorize that as being racist

well if he said that he meant eye for an eye, i wouldn't have reacted to it. I live my life by an eye for an eye anyways :p 
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 1:49:08 AM

I do mean eye for an eye, except I'm probably a bit more extreme than that. If the americans and arabs do one thing right, it's punishment.

Europeans are far too lenient, we'd rather send our criminals off on holiday camps to rehabilitate them.
October 30, 2009 1:51:16 AM

I'm not the world's biggest JennyH fan, but I don't think she had any intention to be racist.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 30, 2009 2:08:10 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I'm not the world's biggest JennyH fan, but I don't think she had any intention to be racist.

I don't like races, far too physical unless I can use an infernal combustion engine of course then it becomes good fun.
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 2:14:00 AM

Being racist is pathetic beyond anything else I know. To hate somebody purely on race is something I cannot even comprehend. I do however hate racists just for being so damned stupid as to be like this.

The EU will probably have me in the gallows for that soon enough.
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 2:18:35 AM

Oh and uncfan...you need to lighten up a bit.

Islamic justice is something that is very misunderstood, but I'm not one for misunderstanding anything. Unfortunately, Ruiz (if guilty) will escape UAE justice, but even if he was to stand trial there he wouldn't be hanging or getting flogged as the UAE is a much more westernised society than most islamic nations.

I'm sure it would be a bit less comfortable than a US prison however, and that was kinda my point.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 30, 2009 2:23:35 AM

If found guilty he should be made to sweep the sand off the Losail Circuit and not be allowed to rest until it is completely sand free.
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 2:43:24 AM

Being racist or stereotyping anybody only shows stupidity. How can anyone tell anything about somebody just by looking at them.
And when you meet them for the first time how do you know if you are meeting them on their best day or worst day.

PS: This is not directed at anyone!!! It is just a statement!! (1 that I have lived by for over 30 years)
October 30, 2009 2:54:44 AM

Mousemonkey said:
If found guilty he should be made to sweep the sand off the Losail Circuit and not be allowed to rest until it is completely sand free.

Sweep hell, he should be made to pick each piece of sand up tween his fingers, and while hes bent over, give all former and current AMD fans darts
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 30, 2009 2:56:29 AM

^I'm liking that thought. :) 
October 30, 2009 3:28:00 AM

well atleast say Arabic Justice because turks are cooler than that ;) 
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 30, 2009 7:47:05 AM

jennyh said:
I disagree. Even if Ruiz is found guilty of something here, it doesn't reflect poorly on AMD if AMD says and does the right thing afterwards.

Ditto for Global Foundries. If, however he is found guilty of some crime and remains in his position then questions should be asked.

It is pretty unlikely he'll be found guilty over anything, so using this as an excuse to reinforce your belief that AMD is crooked like intel is flat out wrong, for now.

it wont reflect on AMD per say but IF he was doing it during his time as CEO or even now as the chairman of the board it will bring into question even more.

Its just going to show that AMD also has their share of corruption when it comes to their top people. It goes to show my main point that not one company is corruption free. AMD just like Intel carse nothing more than to get down and dirty with your wallet and leave it feeling empty while filling theirs. They do not "care" more for the consumer than intel. thats just AMDs sub marketing plot for anyone stupid enough to believe that they really do care more about the consumer than the consumers wallets and it seems to work sometimes......

Admit that if it was a Intel ex CEO you would be claiming how Intel is evil..........

Oh and I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally. Well I do hate the French a tad more than the rest but for good reasoning. They eat snails. Bleh.....
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 1:05:42 PM

Mousemonkey said:

The Moto GP version of Sysiphus's stone?? :na:  LOVE IT!! :love: 

a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 1:27:48 PM

jennyh said:
....so using this as an excuse to reinforce your belief that AMD is crooked like intel is flat out wrong, for now.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. And given past history, it's unlikely that anything I or anyone else may say would serve to sway your narrow little mind. But please do not put such words into my mouth. I do not attribute such relativistic concepts like "evil" or "good" upon them, or anyone, really. They're a corporation, run by (evidently/allegedly greedy and self serving) executives, actively seeking to trade their Product for your money.

Whether a given individual happens to "like" one and "dislike" the other is irrelevant. The key phrase here being "trade their product for your money" No less... And certainly no more.

At such time as I decide to purchase <product>, I will look at the options and buy accordingly. It's a piece of silicon, traded for (an electronic version of...) money so that piece of silicon may be put to work for it's new owner. No more. No Less.

When I want to do something with moral value, I direct my attentions accordingly ...so kindly take your judgments about my intentions, outlook, and bias' and...
October 30, 2009 2:36:47 PM

I would think that if more AMD employees are found to be doing such things that the company can and will be held responsible, bad enough the CEO did this and will add red flags to AMD, tho, he is gone, so maybe they avoid any serious actions, but I assume an investigation can and will take place
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 30, 2009 3:15:04 PM

Scotteq said:
The Moto GP version of Sysiphus's stone?? :na:  LOVE IT!! :love: 

:)  I was struggling to remember the name[:grahamlv:3] so I had to put a little modern twist on it. :lol: 
October 30, 2009 3:24:06 PM

AMD stock price is tumbling again today. It tanked when they made the announcement. I think a lot of people were looking for an excuse to sell.

if AMD stays below $5 for long, look out below. A lot of mutual funds can't hold stocks priced under $5.
!