Sign in with
Your question

How to oc cpu and ram

Last response: in Overclocking
September 13, 2011 9:29:28 PM

Hi

I have phenom x6 1055t, ta880gb+ biostar motherboard, and 8gb of ram. How do I overclock my 1055t to 3.4ghz and my ram to 1600.

More about : cpu ram

a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2011 9:29:52 PM

For this style of CPU, you'll have to increase the base clock. Start by setting your RAM to the specs shown on the stickers. This will be under the Advanced settings tab in your BIOS.

Next, raise your stock base clock by 5 MHz at a time. Save and exit the BIOS. Allow Windows to load. Repeat this step until Windows doesn't load. We'll call this fail point 1 (FP1).

From FP1, decrease the the base clock by 1 MHz at a time, until Windows loads. From this point, you'll need to have an aftermarket CPU cooler. I suggest you check out www.frozencpu.com or www.newegg.com .

Depending how much you increased the base clock to get to FP1, you may need to adjust your Northbridge frequency. This can be done in either of two ways, it just depends which way your BIOS allows. One way is to simply reduce the multiplier; the other way is to do a little math and figure out what the multi is, based on the frequency. For example, my BIOS shows my NB frequency ( 2000 at stock). This means that my NB multiplier is 10 (10 NB Multi x 200 MHz base clock = 2000 MHz NB).

Let's recap.

1. Manually configure your RAM to the specs shown on their sticker, which is found on the side of the DIMMs.

2. Raise your base clock until you find FP1, then drop it down to load Windows.

3. Adjust your NB frequency.

Just to throw in an example:

Let's say you find that w/o changing the NB or Vcore, that 220 MHz is the highest you can go in order to load Windows. At 220 MHz base clock, your NB is 2200 MHz (remember, the NB frequency formula is NB Multi x base clock). Ideally, without changing any of the NB settings, you want to keep this as close to stock (2000 MHz) as possible.

So, in order to OC higher, you'd have to lower the NB frequency. Lower the NB by one step, resulting in a multiplier of 9. 9 x 220 MHz = 1980 MHz.

To continue, there are several more things to do, but start with what I've posted so far. Post back with your results and any questions you have along the way.

Also, overclocking is a lot of trial and error. I recommend you get a notepad to write on, and write down the stock values of any settings you change. Also, you should write down your observations of the changes. For example, increasing the base clock to 224 MHz instantly BSODs the system after exiting the BIOS.
m
l
September 15, 2011 1:51:20 AM

Hi
I know you hear this all the time but im new to overclocking and setting bios. i have OCZ FlexXLC. I dont have mine water cooled.... its made for 2000mhz im running at 1600mhz at 1.84v other then that windows wont load. like i said im new to this but not clueless just need pointers. maybe i can do other changes to where i dont have to have that high of voltage. 2nd is it better to have a higher fsb or multi i have corsair h60 installed just added articsilver 5 to get better temps. im not into scores or none of that just badass gaming :na:  any tips
My Rig
I7 965 Extreme 3.2 with corsair H60 watercooler
EVGA E760 sli 3X
12gigs FlexXLC Passive at the moment
2-PNY GTX 560ti oc SLI
1-PNY GT 520 for physx
850 black widow PSU
with aoc 23in LCD

also need some help water cooling cpu, video and nb sb
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 15, 2011 6:35:59 PM

Generally, if your CPU multiplier can be raised, you should use the multiplier as the primary way to OC your CPU. This is because the base clock also affects the frequency of the Northbridge and your RAM. Here are some formulas to help you understand what I mean:

[CPU frequency] = [CPU multiplier] x [Base clock];
[CPU Turbo frequency] = [CPU Turbo multiplier] x [Base clock];
[HT frequency] = [HT multiplier] x [Base clock];
[NB frequency] = [NB multiplier] x [Base clock];
[Memory frequency] = [Mem multiplier] x [Base clock].

As for the problem of Windows not loading, I recommend the following (assuming that you did attempt to OC):

1. Load defaults (F9)
2. Restart your OC by first setting your RAM to spec
3. If raising your CPU multi, do it in small increments, and see if Windows loads.
4. Check this site out for better info http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?5736-Cor...
m
l
September 17, 2011 12:23:11 AM

Thanks alot i tried the default settings... it always sets my ram to 1066mhz. i dont understand i thought it was suppose to set it by the hardware specs. but no problem i can set it but should the voltage have to be that high for 1600mhz the rams good for 2000. its water cooled ram but i dont have watercooling set up yet im working on that now peice by peice. any suggestions on that subject?
Thanks for the help
I hace coms button on my evga x58 classified that i can restart coms so i can get it to restart no problem
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 12:52:52 AM

The BIOS does not have any feature to auto detect the highest potential of any component, let alone set the said component to it's highest potential. If this were possible, overclocking wouldn't be difficult and there wouldn't be the need for OC guides.

When you OC anything, you will likely need to increase the voltage to increase or regain stability. I wouldn't set your RAM voltage higher than 1.65V without using the watercooling. While we're on the subject, if you're going to attempt overclocking your RAM and/or CPU without using the watercooling for your RAM, you'll have to be conservative on the settings of your RAM.

I would just set the RAM to 1.65V, loosen the timing, and see what results you get by raising the frequency to 1333 through 2000.
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:23:29 AM

ok will do. what would you suggest for this ram. my current timings are 8,8,8,24 1T. This link is the ram i have....http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-16000-flex-ex.... i dont think im having heat problems but i cant get it to run at anything other then 1066 unless i up the voltage thanks for all the help anygood sites or info please give it to me and ill read. also why when you set voltage your self they have some thats green and some thats not. is that whats its safe at?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 1:19:44 AM

For voltages, the green denotes safe; yellow denotes caution; red denotes danger. These are settings created by the BIOS writer, not an indication of the component. This means that setting your RAM to 1.9 may appear to be in the danger zone, according to your BIOS; however, with water cooling, the 1.9 is ok.

As far as the timing goes, it may be a bit of a challenge, but start with increasing the timing by 1 over stock, except for the last one. You may want to start that one with 27. And change your command rate to 2T. From here, play with your timings, but keep your voltage at 1.65. As you adjust, write down any observations you make. For example, 1.65 @ 9-9-9-27 2T, Windows loads, but crashes after 2 minutes.

Lastly, because your RAM was designed for use with water cooling, it is likely that it needs the ~1.9V to run at the 1600-2000 MHz range.
m
l
September 20, 2011 2:49:32 AM

thanks for the help got it working with no problem. i want to watercool. i have the h60 on the cpu nice to have just open box put artic silver 5 and good togo but it doesnt work as good as the temps i seen from other set ups. any suggestions, maybe a kit thats good or would it be better to set up my own set up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2011 9:07:06 PM

As you can expect, what works for one may not work for all. When it comes to computer temps, there are a lot of factors; some that aren't even considered.

Ambient Temp: this is commonly known as room temp. The temperature of the room your computer is in will affect the temperature inside the computer. This simply because the case fans are pulling in air (unless you have a complete negative pressure system).

Environmental Temp: The temperature outside your house (assuming that is where the computer is) affects what the ambient temp will be. The environment changes, and as a result, so will the ambient temp.

Hardware: When comparing temps of other systems, it is best to compare systems with the exact same hardware, but since this is often not the case, there will always be some degree of variance.

Software: What you do with the computer will determine how much load is on the system. This load also contributes to the temperature inside the case.

To sum it all up, when you compare your system to another, you must consider the following often overlooked sources:

Time of day
Season
Hardware (including case)
Software
Room temp

So now, the question is: Can you identify all sources when you compare your system temps to the others?

The reason for the question is that too often, people worry about why their temps aren't as low as someone elses's. Instead of focusing on how low you can get your temps, first concern yourself with making sure your system temps aren't too high. With a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, your temps should never exceed 62°C while overclocked.
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:50:11 PM

thanks for the reply i watched a video on the evga x58 they had a fan that screwes into the nb heat sink just came in today so i installed the 40x40x10 fan sooooo small but it droped the temps on northbridge 10degress c already i did just change the themalpaste to artic silver 5 on cpu and nb and sb so my temps are kinda all over the place but seems to help though. next thing is water cooling any suggestion on pump and good radiator. was looking at the three fan one from corsair and maybe there case to. as to my siilve stone will be tight with all the added hardware for water cooling Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 6:45:01 PM

I don't know too much about watercooling. With me being a bit of a clutz sometimes, I don't use watercooling. This prevents me from damaging the watercooling system, which in turn would damage the mobo.
m
l
!