Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Stream Processor
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2009 5:29:40 AM

So this is a question I have for the community. I have been a Nvidia man for all my life and never even glanced at Radeon. I recently looked at some Radeon cards and was in a state of shock for a minute as I looked at the specs, all of which were superior to Nvidia. The Radeon cards had a incredibly high number of "stream processing units" as compared to Nvidia's "stream processors" and the clocks were slightly higher as well on top of Radeon's DDR5 memory. Reality hit me then and I remembered that from all the comparisons of the two companies cards that for the most part they were on par with each being ahead and behind in certain aspects but at the surface it looks as though Radeon should blow Nvidia away but obviously this isn't true so my question is whats the truth. Is there a difference between "stream processing units" and "stream processors" and why is it with the specs of the Radeon cards are they on par with Nvidia. I'm sitting here thinking if Nvidia had those specs we would be blown away and then some. Any insight is greatly appreciated and please try to keep it unbiased.

More about : nvidia ati whats

August 21, 2009 5:38:55 AM

the architecture of the two types of cards are completely different, there is no worth comparing clocks, or numbers of shaders... just simple they are straight up different, as different as ATI is red and nvidia is green. Its like comparing a muscle car to an asian import... US got the engine displacement, and the hondas got 12000 RPM... you cant look at those specs and compare them because there are just too many factors. This whole Mhz and, MB, and shaders can only be measured together, and thats the FPS you get on your screen... there is no use to wreck ur brains trying to figure which is better using that data, just look at benchmarks

i've been bouncing the companies for ever, because each one at one time suited my need and my budget....
this is in the chronological order Radeon 7000, Radeon 9250, Nvidia 7950gt, Nvidia 8400gt ( stop laughing, i had it for a week when my 7950 caught on fire), Radeon 4850, another Radeon 4850
August 21, 2009 5:42:37 AM

Agreed on what xc0mmiex said. Benchmarks are the real deal when comparing
performance. Also, try to gather as much info as possible from different sources. That
is, compare benchmarks from different sites, check the CPU and MBs they use, etc.

In other words, benchmark the benchmarks ;) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 5:46:20 AM

As youve seen in reviews, the arch and makeup favors certain games of each. Without a ton of tech info, it really comes down to that. In a perfect world, or a perfectly designed game for ATI, it would win out, almost no matter what, vs a comparable priced nVidia card, and vice versa.
Games are done in certain ways, ATI and nVidia each have their own approach, and The Way Its Meant To Be Played program has served nVidia well, as its kept them slightly ahead at times it shouldnt have, and ahead when they had the upper hand to begin with
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 6:03:47 AM

xc0mmiex hit it right on the nose. There is no way to compare the cards spces it comes down to testing them in the real world. Sometimes ATI wins and sometimes Nvidia wins.

Nvidia wins more often then ATI but ati always makes a very strong show and isn't usually to far behind but are always priced better. As I have stated on here many times before I think it is unreal that you can get 2 ati 4870 x2 cards for around the same price as 1 GTX 295.
August 21, 2009 10:57:19 AM

Putting speed aside for one moment and going down a more vague and colloquial direction I've always found when I've owned a Radeon the ATI image quaility has always proven better then Nvidia's, colours just look more vibrant on Radeon cards then they do on the same Geforce equivalent.

Other differences to consider is the quality of after care you get from each of the respective partners. It's not unusual for Nvidia partners to offer life time warranties, step up programmes or double life time warranties with their products, where as ATI board partners until very recently gave you just the basic 1 year warranty (Nvidia has always given 2 year or 3 year depending on where you live in the world) but just recently I've noitced 2 years has become more of the norm with ATI boards now (seemed to co-inside with XFX's arrival on the ATI scene, looks like it gave everyone a kick up the backside).
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2009 11:45:28 AM

The GDDR5 is a huge advantage for ATI, yes, but Nvidia makes up for it with the incredibly wide memory buses. As for stream processors, Nvidias are quite a bit more powerful (but also larger and more power hungry) than ATIs. On the whole though, the cards end up pretty comparable, with ATI having the better deal at most price points right now (though they don't have anything that can quite touch the 295 for the extreme high end).
August 22, 2009 5:25:44 AM

Awesome, thanks guys, that helped out a bunch.
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2009 5:36:57 AM

Quote:
How do 4890's in X compare to the 295?

From most reviews and benchmarks I have seen between the two they trade off blows but the 4890's in CF tend to pull ahead in the higher res With way they are always either within a few fps of eachother or in some cases the 295 will flatten the CF but this are usually when you have a game that is heavily biases to Nvidia.
August 22, 2009 7:27:44 AM

I think what cjl meant was a single card solution, and he is right, the closest you can get is the 4870x2.

I think the 4870 just changed graphics cards so much, forced nvidia to drop pricess drastically. I love their competition, makes life better for us end users :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2009 7:54:31 AM

lets explain how ati an nvidia go bout making cards nvidia will build a limo an give it to you on the open road (bigger bus width slower memory moderate clocks) ati will will build you a ferrari an put you in traffic (smaller bus width faster memory an faster clocks) end of the day they end up covering the same distance but one is clearly slower an the other much faster but its those minor details wich change performance
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2009 8:36:10 AM

4890CF beats the 295, yes. I was saying they don't have a single card that competes on the very high end though. I probably wouldn't buy a 295, personally, since a pair of lower end cards can beat it for less money, but it is pretty much unchallenged as the single fastest card available.

As for the analogy Obsidian86 had, I think a better one would be more like this:

You have 2 roads, one has 6 lanes and a 35mph limit, and one has 3 lanes and a 70mph limit. At the end of the day, they can both move roughly equal amounts of traffic. The 35mph 6 lane road is like Nvidia's solution, and the 3 lane 70mph road is like ATI - Nvidia can have more links at once, with less capability for any given link. ATI has faster links, but fewer of them.
August 22, 2009 11:21:24 AM

Advantages of ATI:

-Adopting newer tech faster/on time and normally before NVIDIA does (normally ATI tried harder to be more innovative with newer tech or coming up with something new)
-normally offers decent/good performance cards at a lower price than NVIDIA (focus on best bang for buck or the sweet spot)
-offer high-end multiple GPU solution at cheaper price than NVIDIA
-Crossfire allows different card model to be crossfire
-normally has good marketing brand names and less confusing in respect to NVIDIA

Disadvantages of ATI:

-normally doesn't offer fastest high end card as a single GPU card but as a multi GPU solution, thus risking to have micro-stuttering effect issue
-normally has slightly slower single GPU card than NVIDIA
-drivers are buggy (based on what many people had mentioned but I am not quite sure)

Advantages of NVIDIA:

-supporting game developers with (TWIMTBP)
-having good drivers support
-normally offers the fastest single GPU card than ATI (but much more expensive than ATI)
-NVIDIA's high-end cards normally doesn't suffer from micro-stuttering effect since they are single GPU cards

Disadvantages of NVIDIA:

-adopting the newer tech slowly
-tends to/depended on overclocking the next-gen card instead of using new tech, thus ended up rebranding the old architecture cards (not being innovative enough)
-TWIMTBP program is sometimes for NVIDIA's political reason and could be seen as anti-competitive practice like refusing to adopt DX 10.1 in time or urging game devs to remove DX 10.1 from PC game Assassin's Creed to avoid rival ATI's DX 10.1 advantages.
-the price of some cards are sometimes too expensive and would rip your wallet or doesn't have a good price/performance offer maybe due to failing to die shrinking the GPU.
-confusing brand names that could mislead customers

These are some informations I normally heard but I don't guarantee how legitimate the informations I posted are. You are welcome to correct me if you think that I am wrong. I tried to be unbiased too....
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 3:14:45 PM

ATI 5970 is all i can say.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 3:20:19 PM

Quote:
ATI 5970 is all i can say.

Look at the last post date is all I can say :p 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 3:33:35 PM

Lol old thread, but I just wanna share my though, Ive owned a GTX280 and now a 5970. To my eyes, the ATI reproduces more natural colors, I have no idea why But I find the 5970 Colors with default setting better than the GTX280 I had. They look more lifelike in desktop and games.
January 2, 2010 8:29:15 PM

Techno-boy said:
Advantages of ATI:

-Adopting newer tech faster/on time and normally before NVIDIA does (normally ATI tried harder to be more innovative with newer tech or coming up with something new)
-normally offers decent/good performance cards at a lower price than NVIDIA (focus on best bang for buck or the sweet spot)
-offer high-end multiple GPU solution at cheaper price than NVIDIA
-Crossfire allows different card model to be crossfire
-normally has good marketing brand names and less confusing in respect to NVIDIA

Disadvantages of ATI:

-normally doesn't offer fastest high end card as a single GPU card but as a multi GPU solution, thus risking to have micro-stuttering effect issue
-normally has slightly slower single GPU card than NVIDIA
-drivers are buggy (based on what many people had mentioned but I am not quite sure)

Advantages of NVIDIA:

-supporting game developers with (TWIMTBP)
-having good drivers support
-normally offers the fastest single GPU card than ATI (but much more expensive than ATI)
-NVIDIA's high-end cards normally doesn't suffer from micro-stuttering effect since they are single GPU cards

Disadvantages of NVIDIA:

-adopting the newer tech slowly
-tends to/depended on overclocking the next-gen card instead of using new tech, thus ended up rebranding the old architecture cards (not being innovative enough)
-TWIMTBP program is sometimes for NVIDIA's political reason and could be seen as anti-competitive practice like refusing to adopt DX 10.1 in time or urging game devs to remove DX 10.1 from PC game Assassin's Creed to avoid rival ATI's DX 10.1 advantages.
-the price of some cards are sometimes too expensive and would rip your wallet or doesn't have a good price/performance offer maybe due to failing to die shrinking the GPU.
-confusing brand names that could mislead customers

These are some informations I normally heard but I don't guarantee how legitimate the informations I posted are. You are welcome to correct me if you think that I am wrong. I tried to be unbiased too....

I am new in this, I am about to buy NVIDIA GTX 295, what is your opinion?
January 2, 2010 8:31:54 PM

Need help, I am confused to buy ATI any version, what about NVIDIA GTX 295 single GPU?
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 85 Î Nvidia
January 2, 2010 8:41:21 PM

xtr3m3gam3r said:
Need help, I am confused to buy ATI any version, what about NVIDIA GTX 295 single GPU?

The GTX 295 is a double GPU on a single card. It is in SLI but doesn't require an SLI board.

The Radeon 5870 is a single GPU and is almost the same speed for less cost (faster in a few games, not far behind in most).

The Radeon 5970 is a double GPU on a single board, like the 295, more expensive than the GTX 295, but quite a lot more powerful.

The GTX 295 has physX, the Radeon 5970 has DirectX 11.
January 24, 2010 6:15:06 PM

Quote:
You need to find a machine with workstation graphics as opposed to gaming. Your current computer has a gaming graphics card - not optimised for Rendering CAD etc. but optimised to produce FPS.

e.g. http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/hp-elitebook-8440w-noteboo...

or the very high end http://www.elitezoom.com/dell-precision-m6500-and-m6500... (this would smoke your desktop at CAD etc.)

Hi thanks for replaying so fast, and Yes I know that the graphic card for a redering in Revit/AutoCAD most be opposed to gaming, and I would love to have FX qued series, BUT they are way above the bugget that I can pay which is 2.592,98 USD, that's way Iam using gaming graphiccard.

Iam more concern about weather the graphic card is from ATI or Nvidia.

And this HP Envy 15-1190eo (VY198EA) laptop is look very promessing.

so...?!

a c 274 U Graphics card
a c 173 Î Nvidia
January 24, 2010 7:07:52 PM

Please start your own thread rather than resurrecting an old one.

TIA.

MM
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2010 7:10:48 PM

That graphics card is fine, especially for AutoCAD or Revit which are far less stressful than apps like 3DSMax, and don't benefit as much from the optimized drivers as those other applications. However for some people they need the certified workstation, so they have to pay the extra cost, not that it provides that much in return. If you need it look at HP's Elitebook workstation laptops, which will be out in February, but it's an added premium and you won't see much benefit even with large models.

However there are a ton in your price range with both Quadro and FireGL GPUs, heck there's a nice 8730W model with a 17" WUXGA LCD and your choice of either ATi & nV, with the only drawback being stuck with the slower older core2 CPUs. Between the two I would say take the better CPU and the gaming GPU, it's a better overall combo for what you're doing.

From the above I would recommend you boost the core i7 to an 820QM (920QM is alot more money and you can buy it OEM for less and upgrade yourself [and use better TIM on] and sell the old CPU), the 820QM would give you a noticeable boost. Also start with at least 8GB of RAM.

Anywhooo, don't resurrect old un-related threads to ask new specific questions, make your own thread, this one is now closed. [:thegreatgrapeape:7]
!