Will the i7 be seeing a price drop?

cjpcoolguy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hey, i was looking to build a new system, using a core i7 920. Since the release of the new i9, 32nm is scheduled for Q1/Q2 of 2010, do you think that stores will have Christmas / boxing day sales for the s1366 core i7 processors / s1366 motherboards? (I am in Canada, and will be buying from Newegg.ca, Tigerdirect.ca and Ncix.com)

Thanks!

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
1366 is now well positioned as a premiere product, and since there probably aren't massive inventories to get rid of, a discount may or may not happen.

You could just probably wait for Christmas season and get what you can, i9's would probably jump over the price of the i7 920 (1366).

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
or you could go for the Phenom II X4 955, which costs considerable lesser (not to mention the motherboards for the Phenom are cheaper too). Agreed, when it comes to raw power and OC'ing the 920 might be better, but in all gaming benchmarks (not synthetic) the Phenom II and 920 perform evenly.

PS - not being an AMD fanboy. Just letting you know your options.

dia-j

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
xbonez has a point. So why not saving your money while you can have almost the same gaming experience (wast your money on the GPU) that's if you wanted it for gaming

cjpcoolguy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Oh i know, but i don't plan to use it for gaming, i will be OCing to around 3.8GHz, and be doing a bit of video editing, redering, and a lot of computer programming on it. Plus i will be having 12GB of DDR3, so i need a Tri-Channel board, not dual.

If you do vid editing, then certainly go LGA1366. This way, you'll be able to upgrade to the hex core i9s down the road.

I doubt prices will go down any time soon, HOWEVER, if you can cross over to the US for a few days during the Thanksgiving days you may be able to pick something up there (here?).

cjpcoolguy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If you do vid editing, then certainly go LGA1366. This way, you'll be able to upgrade to the hex core i9s down the road.

I doubt prices will go down any time soon, HOWEVER, if you can cross over to the US for a few days during the Thanksgiving days you may be able to pick something up there (here?).

I have a relative who is a flight attendent, so i can get parts there some times, but what happens if i get a board that needs to be RMA'd? Then i am royally screwed.

cjpcoolguy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I would not have the chance to go back to the same place. The chance of any board RMAing is still there, and i don't want to loose $300 at the possability of saving $75.