OverClockin Asus gtx 460 768mb , how high did you go

hey guys i just bought the asus gtx 460 768mb card and decided to take advantage of the overclocking success this card had to offer , so far ive been successfull overclocking it for

stock speed
700mhz to 850 mhz core

1400 mhz to 1700 mhz shader

1840 mhz to 2200 mhz memory

i used furmark and msi kombustor for 30 mins and the card did not exceed 60c..... =)

i have a strong feeling i can push this card even further but to do that i would like to increase the vcore voltage but i do not have any experience with voltage tweaking as this is my first voltage tweaker gpu...

can anybody tell me whats the safe voltage i can boost it to . on the card or if anybody had success overclocking it to higher rates
13 answers Last reply
More about overclockin asus 768mb high
  1. What you got is average for a gtx 460 and got one my self. You can bump the voltage slightly and if the whole card is cool (around 70-80c for the power vrm) then you can break past 900mhz with ease. Only a few though can go past 950mhz to 1.050ghz.
  2. nforce4max said:
    What you got is average for a gtx 460 and got one my self. You can bump the voltage slightly and if the whole card is cool (around 70-80c for the power vrm) then you can break past 900mhz with ease. Only a few though can go past 950mhz to 1.050ghz.

what would be a slight voltage increase.. i just have this inner feeling that this card can push 950 its extremely cool plus i have an intake fan right next to it and an exhaust fan right next to it also ....
  3. nforce4max said:
    What you got is average for a gtx 460 and got one my self. You can bump the voltage slightly and if the whole card is cool (around 70-80c for the power vrm) then you can break past 900mhz with ease. Only a few though can go past 950mhz to 1.050ghz.

i tryed to increase it to 900 and it failed me right after 3 mins into stability test, then i did like said i increased the voltaged slightly and wala ran a 25 min test to 900 and it didnt pass 62c... should i proceed to 950
  4. Try 925 first and test it again. What are you using for stability testing?
  5. Run a game or two at your best OC and see how it looks. I can O/C my 460SE 1GB to
    900/1800/2000no voltage bump,
    no problem and can play COD WaW just fine. If I run Civ V it tears really bad! Civ V is nat an fps but a turned based game. Guess it has something to do with how often the screen has to re-write (or crappy coding).
  6. nforce4max said:
    Try 925 first and test it again. What are you using for stability testing?

furmark and msi kombustor
  7. DelroyMonjo said:
    Run a game or two at your best OC and see how it looks. I can O/C my 460SE 1GB to
    900/1800/2000no voltage bump,
    no problem and can play COD WaW just fine. If I run Civ V it tears really bad! Civ V is nat an fps but a turned based game. Guess it has something to do with how often the screen has to re-write (or crappy coding).

well thats about the same i got ,but then again you cant really achieve maxium overclocking capability without voltage bumping, i quess same as oc a cpu.
  8. nforce4max said:
    Try 925 first and test it again. What are you using for stability testing?

this is weak before i raised the core from 900 925 i bumped the voltaged alittle bit more and when i ran furmark for half hour my raise to 925 made my temps not go above 56 ! does bumping the voltage make the card less hot or something ,its really werid but at the same time cool , im gonna go for an hour test right now see what happens
  9. vadimua said:
    furmark and msi kombustor

Furmark and Kombuster are for noobs who often end up damaging their cards or get a clock they think is solid till they load up a real benchmark or game only to get artifacts or a blue screen. From now on I suggest a game but for thermal testing you can use gpu-z with logging in background selected. Also msi afterburner can also help logging temps and loads. Beyond that you did rather ok for what you have thus far. Just don't expect anything out of the norm till you hit the limits for this sample. I modded mine to where it doesn't look like any thing like a gtx 460 being that it takes up 4 slots now due to the new fans. Then the power vrm cooling mod that cools the mosfets from both sides of the pcb helps with the overclocking be rock solid. The last but not least is the back plate mode well back cooler as it doesn't cover much more than just the core. Used a old socket 7 cooler and some scrap metal created a universal cooler that can be installed onto the back of the card on the reverse side of the pcb to cool the gpu from both side while using the stock screws alongside with the stock cooler. Then used thermal pads to prevent shorts ect while providing thermal transfer. 124CFM worth of airfow so it says cool. The only reason why I don't I don't break any higher than 950 is because of the sample that I have and I don't push the voltage beyond 1.087v. No need to bother with the vram as it doesn't provide the gains compared to overclocking the core.

Good luck.
  10. nforce4max said:
    Furmark and Kombuster are for noobs who often end up damaging their cards or get a clock they think is solid till they load up a real benchmark or game only to get artifacts or a blue screen. From now on I suggest a game but for thermal testing you can use gpu-z with logging in background selected. Also msi afterburner can also help logging temps and loads. Beyond that you did rather ok for what you have thus far. Just don't expect anything out of the norm till you hit the limits for this sample. I modded mine to where it doesn't look like any thing like a gtx 460 being that it takes up 4 slots now due to the new fans. Then the power vrm cooling mod that cools the mosfets from both sides of the pcb helps with the overclocking be rock solid. The last but not least is the back plate mode well back cooler as it doesn't cover much more than just the core. Used a old socket 7 cooler and some scrap metal created a universal cooler that can be installed onto the back of the card on the reverse side of the pcb to cool the gpu from both side while using the stock screws alongside with the stock cooler. Then used thermal pads to prevent shorts ect while providing thermal transfer. 124CFM worth of airfow so it says cool. The only reason why I don't I don't break any higher than 950 is because of the sample that I have and I don't push the voltage beyond 1.087v. No need to bother with the vram as it doesn't provide the gains compared to overclocking the core.

Good luck.

gpu z is used for monitoring right
  11. Yes you can, sensor tab hello.
  12. I use Unigine Heaven to test out my O/C's using DX11 and standard settings.
    My avg. fps tracke linearly with my O/C %'s from 648/1296/1700 to 800/1600/2000.
    In otherwords, an O/C of 23% gave me close to an increase in fps of 23%.
    And the visuals looked good.
    But when running SOME games I got nasty tearing at the 23% O/C.
    Your mileage may vary.
    BTW, I don't push the voltage.
    Just my 2¢¢
  13. DelroyMonjo said:
    I use Unigine Heaven to test out my O/C's using DX11 and standard settings.
    My avg. fps tracke linearly with my O/C %'s from 648/1296/1700 to 800/1600/2000.
    In otherwords, an O/C of 23% gave me close to an increase in fps of 23%.
    And the visuals looked good.
    But when running SOME games I got nasty tearing at the 23% O/C.
    Your mileage may vary.
    BTW, I don't push the voltage.
    Just my 2¢¢

actually by bumping my voltage i got my card to run under stability test for 1 and half hour under 53c or maybe its cuz i have 7 case fans lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Asus Gtx