Help with first build.. BSOD

ecurb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
This is my first build so I don't know too much about troubleshooting. I'll try to cover everything that I did, and any help would be appreciated. I built yesterday and everything seemed to go fine, I installed Vista and once that was done I installed the drivers for my graphics card from the cd that came with it, and my wifi card drivers from the cd. Once I started running windows update I got a BSOD. Several attempts later I was still getting blue screens.

I started again today.. I reseated everything onto my MOBO (ram, graphics card, and wifi card) and I checked all my connections. I thought there may have been a problem with my Vista install, so today I reinstalled. Everything with the install went okay, after it was done I installed my wifi drivers and graphics driver (I got the drivers online this time). I also checked my temperatures and everything seemed fine, around 35C. As soon as I started running the windows update I got a blue screen again. Does anyone have any advice on what I can try next?

I'm running memtest86 now.. just to make sure I'm doing it right, I should leave 1 stick in my first slot and run the test for a few passes.. then if there are no errors install another stick and do it again?

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CorssFireX & 3-Way SLI/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GV-N275UD-896H GeForce GTX 275
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX TX 750W Power Supply
Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
wipe the drive and reinstall the OS, then turn off the updates and see if things go oK for a few days, then turn the updates on and see if it crashes again

ecurb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I started installing vista again this morning. When I get to screen that asks me to select my hard drive I get a message saying the that disk may fail soon.

Could this be what was causing blue screens and update problems?. If so I'll get another HDD today.

trentdk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I guess Vista is using information provided by SMART on that future failure indication. I'd say that would be your best bet, try a new drive.

Also, just because I like it far more than Vista... try installing Win7 RC :) (wont fix anything if the drive truly is about to die).