Sign in with
Your question
Solved

When Will Tom's Start Reviewing Blue-Ray Writers?

Last response: in Storage
May 6, 2011 3:53:17 PM

I have been in the market for a Blue-Ray Writer for a while now, mainly for the advantage of archiving 25GB per SL disk, but I haven't been able to find many or really any current comparison reviews, even though there are several drives available now at around $100.

Since this is obviously where media archiving will be going over the next few years I hope someone will start doing some reviews...

Thank you.
a b G Storage
May 6, 2011 4:00:40 PM

They will start when you recognize it's spelt Blu-Ray not Blue-Ray. ;) 

Also what is there to compare? Price? Speed? Style? Bundled Software?

People can largely do this themselves.
m
l
May 6, 2011 4:49:37 PM

Rusting In Peace said:
They will start when you recognize it's spelt Blu-Ray not Blue-Ray. ;) 

Also what is there to compare? Price? Speed? Style? Bundled Software?

People can largely do this themselves.

When I plan to purchase new hardware I like check product reviews on a trusted site like this one. Unfortunately, to date, there effectively are almost no comparison articles comparing Blu-Ray Writers anywhere (here or elsewhere).

I want to see a real review (by a tech site that actually tests a few products against each other), not just user reviews on comment boards where the user has probably only ever had access/experience with one or possibly 2 drives.

(There are plenty of things they could review about a Blu-Ray Writer/Player. See the article they did 2+ years ago (12/2009) under the storage category for some examples.)

PS: Thanks for the catch on my posting. I am a tech by profession and hobby, but definitely not a typist. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 289 G Storage
May 6, 2011 4:58:14 PM

N0Spin said:

Since this is obviously where media archiving will be going over the next few years I hope someone will start doing some reviews...

I'm not sure that many sites are doing "media archiving" much. Removable hard drives are so much faster, and hold more data. I realize that everyone has different tastes and different reasons for doing things, but removable drives or eSata drives, and now even USB 3.0 drives, seem to make more sense for backup and archiving.

Of course, I'm prejudiced. I have a DVD burner and nine removable SATA drives.

But you are right - I can't find any blu-ray articles here. Much surprise on my part. Also Cnet, X-bit labs.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
May 6, 2011 11:29:23 PM

WyomingKnott said:
I'm not sure that many sites are doing "media archiving" much. Removable hard drives are so much faster, and hold more data.
I totally agree. With 2TB hard drives available for ~$70 there's just not enough of a cost savings to use BluRay, even if you compare it against storing data on two separate hard drives for redundancy. Particularly when you consider that you'd have to manually swap 40 dual-layer BluRay disks to save as much data as you could by letting a copy run overnight to an external hard drive. And then repeat all that manual work every time you wanted to actually access the data or to simply verify that it's still readable.
m
l
a c 181 G Storage
May 7, 2011 4:36:12 AM

i archive home video on blu-ray!
m
l

Best solution

May 7, 2011 5:41:45 AM

Try http://club.myce.com/. Go down the page to the home entertainment section. This is the best discussion I have found on blu-ray drives. Good place to see which brand of media to buy for which drive.
May 26, 2011 4:01:43 PM

Best answer selected by N0Spin.
m
l
!