Fans going crazy, computer won't boot

willtherock

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi, I have an HP workstation xw6000 at work, and the other day, I turned it on and all the fans were going crazy (case and cpu), as in very very fast, and the computer won't boot. The BIOS info doesn't even pop up. I suspected it was a psu (WTX) problem, so I ordered a new one. I installed the new one and the same thing happened. So I disconnected all the wires on the motherboard and connected them again, I changed the motherboard battery, disconnected each fan one by one, cleaned up the motherboard, did a reset of the CMOS. None of this changed anything. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? What else could I try to see where the problem comes from?

It can be down to a bad memory stick to be honest.
I have known some motherboards refuse to boot if one stick of memory becomes faulty, bad.
Take all the sticks out, put one back in the memory slot, then see if it boots.
If it does, and you do have more than one memory stick its sure fire way of finding the bad one.

willtherock

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have tried to remove the memory sticks and to put them back. I will try this more systematically tomorrow. I have disconnected everything that touches the motherboard, and reconnected. I even removed the motherboard from the case to see if there was a short between the mb and the case. None of this brought any improvement. The problem persists if I remove the video card and unplug the monitor.

willtherock

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have tried again to systematically remove each of the four memory stick at put them in one by one, or two by two, and the problem persists. I'm really short of ideas of things to try now.

I know you said you took the mother board out of the case, did you infact check to see if the bios chip had not moved out of its socket, sometimes they do pop out a bit due to the mother board heating then cooling with alot of use.

Take the power lead out of the psu, find the bios chip in its socket and give it a light push with your finger, if you hear it click a bit, it could of worked its way out a bit.
plug the power cord into the psu and give that a try.

Belive it or not i have had two cases of this happening on two types of mother boards, i guess some flex with heat.

mdjd26

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
My parents just ran into this same issue. It's an Emachines computer they bought at Best Buy. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to one of his Emachines....maybe just a coincidence but...

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?

cedhardware

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

I've got two of them. Both with the same exact issue.
First one and then the other, starts but no POST and fans go faster and faster.
Changed the PSU but no result.
Sometimes I was able to correctly start the unit but only once, that means that you do not have to power off it.
I think that is something gone on the mobo.