Sign in with
Your question

Your Thoughts On My New Design

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2009 8:35:52 AM

I've been asking a lot of questions about new parts here and there and have learned a lot on these boards about the latest tech. I like to build computers that will last minimum 3 years and my last system's 3 years has been up for awhile. Heres my initial 1st build plans and keep in mind I am open to changes.

CASE Kandalf ( Thermaltake )
PSU 1200 W Toughpower ( Thermaltake ) Have Already
CPU Intel I7 950
MOBO EVGA 121-BL
RAM 6 GB Corsair Dominator
SSD Intel x25-m ( For OS )
HDD 2x 300 GB Velocity Raptors in Raid 0, 1x WD 1T Black Have Already
VGA Saphire 4870 2gb ( Until 5 Series Comes Out ) Have Already
2 5??? in C-Fire when Released
OS Vista Ultimate 64-bit

For kicks here is my current system that is 3 years and 6 months old.

Case Armour ( Thermaltake )
PSU 640 W Thermaltake
CPU AMD 4800 X2 939pin
MOBO ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
RAM 2 GB OCZ Platinum PC 3200
HDD 150 GB Vel Raptor
VGA ATI 1900 xtx and ATI 1900 Crossfire Edition
OS WIN XP 32-bit

More about : thoughts design

August 1, 2009 1:48:21 PM

Money doesn't seem to be a very limiting factor, but here are my comments anyway:
  • What model of Dominator DDR3 are you considering? The Dominator is one of the priciest DDR3-1600 CAS7 you can find, and not the most popular. I would suggest either Mushkin or OCZ.
  • For the case (and also cooling), do you plan on using water cooling? You do realize you are paying more for the front radiator included in the case right? If you have no use for the radiator, why not use the VA8003BWS (same base model I think).
  • For the X25-M SSD, try to get the G2 (newer version, better, but I think there is currently a firmware issue related to password protection)
  • Why put 2 Velociraptor in RAID 0? Do you need the access time or just the throughput (MB/s)? If so, most recent drives can match the Velociraptors in volume transfer and are WAY cheaper, you already have an SSD for kick-ass access time.
  • For the OS, either get a hold on the Win7 trial versions (last ~1yr) or make sure the if you get Vista, you get a free upgrade to Win 7. Moreover, what feature of Ultimate do you need, I know Ultimate sounds better, but most people, even enthusiasts have more than enough with Home Premium.
    August 1, 2009 2:53:02 PM

Follow the format shown in the how to ask for new build advice sticky, i bet we can cut ATLEAST 10% off the price of that build, get a 920 and OC, get OCZ platinum 1600 CL7 as the 6GB kit of dominators costs more and is CL8. Wait until the end of august to pick up an SSD they will be cheaper and faster.

But you really need to post in the template shown because this build has a long way to go before it is a good value.
    Related resources
    August 1, 2009 3:47:06 PM

^+1 I forgot about the CPU, with a good cooler, you can probably hit 4GHz with the 920 and not much more with the 950. You can probably even OC the 920 @ the 950 speed without any additional cooling, might want to lower voltage as much as possible to limit heat.

So unless you want to run the thing at stock speed, there is no good reason to get the 920 over the 950.
    August 1, 2009 4:33:08 PM

Zenthar said:
    Money doesn't seem to be a very limiting factor, but here are my comments anyway:
  • What model of Dominator DDR3 are you considering? The Dominator is one of the priciest DDR3-1600 CAS7 you can find, and not the most popular. I would suggest either Mushkin or OCZ.
  • For the case (and also cooling), do you plan on using water cooling? You do realize you are paying more for the front radiator included in the case right? If you have no use for the radiator, why not use the VA8003BWS (same base model I think).
  • For the X25-M SSD, try to get the G2 (newer version, better, but I think there is currently a firmware issue related to password protection)
  • Why put 2 Velociraptor in RAID 0? Do you need the access time or just the throughput (MB/s)? If so, most recent drives can match the Velociraptors in volume transfer and are WAY cheaper, you already have an SSD for kick-ass access time.
  • For the OS, either get a hold on the Win7 trial versions (last ~1yr) or make sure the if you get Vista, you get a free upgrade to Win 7. Moreover, what feature of Ultimate do you need, I know Ultimate sounds better, but most people, even enthusiasts have more than enough with Home Premium.

• +1. Or for the OS, you can pre order Win 7 Home Premium for $50 and run the RC till then. IIRC RC give away ends on August 9th?.

As for the G2 SSD, the problem is related to BIOS password protection for the drive, NOT the windows,etc passwords.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15827

Again, if not WCing no need to pay the premium for the case. Also drop the EVGA motherboard, imo. Don't get me wrong, it's a quality board but it IS a mATX meaning you MAY not have enough space to CrossFire in the future.
    August 1, 2009 6:48:17 PM

Shadow703793 said:
    Also drop the EVGA motherboard, imo. Don't get me wrong, it's a quality board but it IS a mATX meaning you MAY not have enough space to CrossFire in the future.
    ^+1 An alternative to the EVGA board would be the Asus P6T the SE model or not, the difference is minimal I think. There was an aticle on this site this week comparing 5-6 <200$ X58 MBs, you should look at it.
    August 1, 2009 8:54:31 PM

I'll look at Mobo article - THX

I have OCZ Ram On Current build and been happy for years. I was reading reviews at new egg and got scared with new stuff. Ill look again at OCZ and Mushkin.

I already have the 2 300 GB raptors so I thought I should use them for my games.
    Then I can get the 80 GB ssd instead of 160 GB to save a few bucks and yes I'm waiting for the G2.

I do plan on using the Liquid Cooling in the Kandolf. It seems to be much more efficient than the newer ones from Thermaltake but I could be wrong. The radiators with thier newer cases are so small. I would think that makes a difference. Even with the smaller pipes.

I fell dumb again but if I pre order Win 7 Home Premium what is the RC?

I didnt know about how small the evga board was so thank you again. I was looking at the p6t v2 and might go back to that.

Ill reread the posting rules and resubmit in the right format. Sorry again guys.

Also if anyone thinks air cooling is better than LC then I could go with a HAF 932 case and I'm up for air cooling suggestions as long as its fairly quiet.

If I go Liquid cooled ar have a good air cooled system then I'll go with the 920 then. I've never really been into OCing but I havent built anything new in almost 4 years and it sounds much more attainable.
    August 1, 2009 9:10:53 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about the newegg reviews. Yes it's possible the RAM won't work at rated CAS & voltage. but this could happen to any RAM for a reason or another, sometimes, you just relax a single setting and it works; like my DDR2 RAM I had to set to 4-5-4-15 instead of 4-4-4-15.

For the Raptors, if you already have them, then good idea to reuse them, they aren't bad drives after all.

For WC, unless you want to do extreme OC or already have most part of a kit, I don't think WC is the best investment; you can get very good temps out of 120mm air coolers now, they make very little noise and probably cost <50$. But WC has a much better wow-factor.

For Windows 7, RC is simply the "Release Candidate", it simply means "really advanced beta" :p .
    August 2, 2009 8:25:02 AM

What do you think are some good 120mm coolers right now?
    August 2, 2009 1:06:02 PM

I personally own and like the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, but you will need the ACK-I7361 S1366 "crossbow backplate". Beware, the ACK-I7363 (very similar) won't work.
    August 2, 2009 3:32:44 PM

Quote:
    I wouldn't worry to much about the newegg reviews.

Agreed. Most of the so called "reviewers" are idiots who don't know about manually changing voltage,etc. for RAM.

As for HSFs, Core Contact or S1283.
    Reviews: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

!