Sata 6bg/s and USB 3.0 support or room for a phsyx card?

kakoshka

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Gday all Im going to be purchasing a new mother board shortly and was wondering whether to choose the ASUS p7p55d-e-pro with 2 PCIe lanes for my 2 GTs 250s, as this board supports usb 3,0 and sata 6gb/s.
Or do you feel it would be a better option to buy the Asus P7P55D-EVO for 3 PCIe lanes and thus support for 2 GTS 250's and an old 9500 GT I have lying around? But not support for USB 3.0 and Sata 6gb/s. I can see the physx giving a boost in gaming but is that boost a worthwhile trade for future preparedness?

Thanks

Solution
Carefully check where the usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s are connected to...

Usually, their chip are on a Pci-E 1.0 x1 which limits throughput to 250MB/s in each direction, making Sata/6000 absolutely useless, and Usb 3.0 less good than it should.

I've also read that these added chips aren't perfectly bug-free. No personal experience though.

Whatever unclear (misleading, in fact) docs tend to suggest, the P55 and all series 5 have Pci-E 1.0 at the ICH - only the Cpu has Pci-E 2.0.

So usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s would really be useful BUT aren't really available up to now AND are a good reason not to buy current mobos.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Carefully check where the usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s are connected to...

Usually, their chip are on a Pci-E 1.0 x1 which limits throughput to 250MB/s in each direction, making Sata/6000 absolutely useless, and Usb 3.0 less good than it should.

I've also read that these added chips aren't perfectly bug-free. No personal experience though.

Whatever unclear (misleading, in fact) docs tend to suggest, the P55 and all series 5 have Pci-E 1.0 at the ICH - only the Cpu has Pci-E 2.0.

So usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s would really be useful BUT aren't really available up to now AND are a good reason not to buy current mobos.

Solution

kakoshka

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Ok thanks for the advice, I decided to go for the dedicated physx card too use my 9500 gt i have spare and while not a massive boost its been worth while thank you.