micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
we got 2 old computers at home here....and we're getting given an old 8600gt GPU....tell me what to do with both PCs:

Comp 1
Pentium 4 3.2ghz
1gb ddr2 ram
16" crt monitor (800x600)
8500gt 256mb
mobo: has 1x PCI-E slot

Comp 2 Dell Dimension 3000
Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1.25gb ddr2 ram
17" crt monitor (1024x768)
GPU: integrated graphics (w00t)
mobo: only got PCI slots....

NB: both monitors can go to 1280x1024.... but we're running them lower to get better FPS for urban terror/CSS (only comp 1, as Comp 2 doesn’t meet the requirements)
NB 2: i dont know the PSU for either, but Comp 1 is running fine with the 8500gt atm, and the Comp 2 is a dell....so what amperage they have?!

new GPU: 8600gt 512mb ddr3 vram, PCI-E (1.1 or 2.0....don't know which)

what should i do to not bottleneck either dramatically, but get kinda equal performance WITHOUT changing the CPU from the mobo?
IMO, i will put the 8600gt onto comp 1, and move the 8500gt into comp 2.... what do u think??
will Comp 2 PSU be able to handle a 8500gt, and will Comp 1 be able to handle a 8600gt, if it can handle a 8500gt?!

thanks for any help
MICK

BTW: can't buy any parts atm...parents don't like spending money on gaming stuff :D

Solution
828.jpg

The white ones are PCI slots, the black one is a PCI-E 16x slot. You can put any PCI-E card in any PCI-E slot, it just gets its bandwidth limited by the speed of the slot. You will notice that the there is a little nub in each slot and that the PCI slot has it in the back while the PCI-E slot has it in the front, this is to prevent people from trying to shove one in the other, they are physically and electrically incompatible, a PCI-E slot carries enough power to totally fry a PCI card.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Pull the side of the cases off and get the specs for the PSUs. You'd have to check you're GPU manufactures, but here are some requiements I found for unknown brands.

8500GT: 300w 18a 12v
8600GT 350w 20a 12v

Especially with the gateway, thats right at the bubble, so your answer may be made for you.

Then I ask, do you need 2 computers? If you can get away with transfering some of the ram into the more powerful system, might help a little. If one system just does internet, take 1/2 gig over to the first system.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
we need both computers, and both computers do internet
and the ram is in 2x 1GB sticks, and 1x256mb sticks...so no chance with the less ram on one, and more on the other......

and i don't know what brand the 8600 is, but the 8500gt is an ASUS...ill get the PSU ratings in a second

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
You can usually check the amperage/wattage of power supply on the back, where you plug in the cable.

edit: The 2nd PC doesn't have much value for you without a PCI-e slot. There are PCI cards out there, but the performance takes a hit due to the limited bandwidth and the costs are higher for high-end (...high end?) PCI cards than for the same low-mid-end PCI-e cards.

Not a chance in hell, PCI just means Peripheral Component Interconnect and allows various components to be put into it, PCI-E serves the same purpose so it retained the PCI part of the name but there is no way to put a PCI card into a PCI-E slot let alone get it to work.

828.jpg

The white ones are PCI slots, the black one is a PCI-E 16x slot. You can put any PCI-E card in any PCI-E slot, it just gets its bandwidth limited by the speed of the slot. You will notice that the there is a little nub in each slot and that the PCI slot has it in the back while the PCI-E slot has it in the front, this is to prevent people from trying to shove one in the other, they are physically and electrically incompatible, a PCI-E slot carries enough power to totally fry a PCI card.

Solution

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
damn...so it basically means ill have to either: a) replace the mobo on comp2, or b) retire the old 8500gt...and still use the integrated graphics on the dell (comp 2)

damn that sucks....well thanks for the help....if there is a cheap mobo from www.pccasegear.com that'll fit pentium 4...please show me...

thanks again
MICK