I just built a machine consisting of these parts:

Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 790GX mobo
XFX Radeon 4890 1Gb gpu
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz CPU
4Gb DDR3 Kingston RAM
500GB WD Caviar Black HD
OCZ 600W 600MXSP PSU
NZXT Guardian 921 case

I have both XP Pro and Win 7 RC installed on the system. Everything was working fine (minus my monitor issues) for the first two weeks. Then I left the computer alone for a few days (turned it off, improperly I might add b/c I didn't have the monitor hooked onto it and didn't know how else to turn off the system) while I waited for my new monitor, which arrived yesterday.

When I hooked everything up to the new monitor and turned the system back on it just sat at the "Foxconn - Press DEL to enter Setup, ESC to enter boot" (or whatever it says) screen....the first thing that always appeared before but would go away after a few seconds. I have yet to see it actually go away by itself. I've been hitting ESC and (after more delay, which is also weird b/c it used to go rather quickly to either setup or boot menu) it brings me to the screen that lists where the system wants to load from.

The order it has listed is:
1. Floppy
2. CD/DVD
3. SATA (or whatever my harddrive is listed as)

This seems odd, could this be the issue?

Also, when I get to the little Win 7 "flower" icon there is a delay between seeing that icon and the Startup windows screen that I never had before.

Besides that the system is running fine but these issues just randomly started happening, and I really don't know why.

More about : system stuck startup

August 1, 2009 6:02:07 PM

The issue is apparently related to the fact that I have 3 external hard drives and a USB router plugged into the computer. This is slowing down start up significantly. If I unplug these, the system starts up just fine.

I went into the bios and the internal hard drive is the first priority boot device (or whatever it's called), so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any ideas what is causing this? I'm assuming because the 3 drives amount to 1.65tb worth of storage space and the system is trying to register them all while it starts up that this is slowing the process down. Is there any way to make the process speed up (or not occur at all)?

thanks
Related resources
!