Nvidia 9500gt DDR2 512mb Fan not working properly help!

oblivion187

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Ok, so I'm having this problem with my graphics card. I'm trying to play WoW, and as I'm playing. the game will drop from 60 fps, to 6 fps for about a minute. then it will speed back up to 60 fps. NOW, what i did was I would hit the computer because the fan speed would get loud and make me mad, then it went quiet (But it still appears to be moving fast.) So i was happy. ALSO i thought it was the patch 193.35 update that was causing the problem. well, i was wrong. redid my entire computer and its back the same way.. laggy as ever. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Think its time for me to get a new graphics card? or please tell me how to adjust fan speeds on a Graphics card. Thank you guys very much for whatever help can be offered.

erikjansson

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hello! I had the same problem a few months ago, I have a ATI Radeon x1650 though. My fps would drop to 5-15 all of a sudden. Here is what I did to work:

Cleaned the CPU fan, if there are lots of dust in the cooler clean all up with air or something, I used to blow LOL, but then I used a brush. WARNING!!! Turn the computer off!!! Disconnect all cables! then take the cooler out. It might take some time to take the cooler out cuz it might be tightened. Then u just clean it. Then put it back.

NOTE!: If you Graphics card fan all of a sudden stop it might be that your power supply has too low energy to distribute to all hardwares. And the fan turns off cuz there is no power to be given to it. Check your power supply. If it is bigger than 350 Watts then I think ur OK.
NOTE2!: DONT, kick your PC, if your do it might cause permanenet damage to the Hard Disk or any other hardware.
NOTE3! If all else failes buy a new cooler for the Video Card, and if that failes borrow a graphics card form a friend or something and test it. If it works buy a new one.
TIP: ALWAYS TEST OTHERS HARDWARE ON YOUR PC TO MAKE SURE THAT, THATS THE PROBLEM!!!!