Ron

I want to upgrade from ME to XP, but I also want to start
with a clean hard drive. If I purchase the upgrade to XP
will it boot from the disk and allow me to erase
everything? Thanks

"Ron" <kmiller27@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>I want to upgrade from ME to XP, but I also want to start
>with a clean hard drive. If I purchase the upgrade to XP
>will it boot from the disk and allow me to erase
>everything? Thanks

Yes. Boot from the Windows XP CD and create a new Windows
installation. You can re-setup/reformat the HDD during that operation.
You should have the Windows ME CD at the hand to verify your upgrade
license.

--
(tm)

Greetings --

It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Ron" <kmiller27@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> I want to upgrade from ME to XP, but I also want to start
> with a clean hard drive. If I purchase the upgrade to XP
> will it boot from the disk and allow me to erase
> everything? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS