fliberdygibits

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I'm new to Tom's and out of practice to PC building in general. I've found myself for the last half dozen years or so living off a laptop. Now while a laptop is nice I finally got the bug to build a system again. I've kept my toes at least vaguely in the water but I'm still iffy on many points. So my question: My basic system is built and running, I'm posting from it now. MSI Mother board Radeon 6870HD and a 5830. The big card is running 3 22 inch monitors on mydesktop, the smaller card is just to spit out a HDMI signal to a LCD TV nearby..... not the greatest solutions maybe but it works:) Anyhow..... 16G ram, 60Gig Sata III SSD and twin 1.5TB HDDs. I've got 3 computer controlled 120 mm case fans, the GPU fans, the CPU fan the power supply fans and oh....a 6 Core 3.4Ghz (3.6??) Phenom II. When I crank up a game or sometimes even when I don't it sounds like a freaking hovercraft. I have no intention of Overclocking but I'm curious..... is water cooling completely over the top for noise reduction or is there a better easier way that will still keep my investment from baking itself?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Maybe you can isolate what piece of hardware is making the increase. If it is the cpu fan, a quality air cooler may do the trick. If it is the gpu's there are air and water solutions. I would suggest reading up a bit, there are pluses and minuses to both routes.