Sign in with
Your question

My nvidia 295 GTX performance is awful help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2009 12:16:00 AM

ok here is the deal.. my computer is
intel Q9450
p5kc motherboard
4 GB DDR2 800 mhz ram
750w power
raptor harddrive
and the new 295 gtx

previously i had a 8800 GTX card and every game i had ran very smooth.

then my 8800 gtx suddenly stopped working so i buyed a 295 gtx.. well my expectations where it should atleast we as fast if not faster than the 8800 gtx.

but that did not prove to be the case.. in company of heroes i have bad lag when much things going on, same with empire total war..

those games worked PERFECTLY with 8800 gtx

so i was wondering... my motherboard has pci-e x16 but not 2.0... what is 2.0? am i gimped if i dont have that? surely the card would still have the same bandwidth that 8800 gtx had so it still would not be going SLOWER?

an other thougth i have was what if the second gpu is not activated? my motherboard doesnt support sli, only crossfire.. does that mean 295 gtx will not work ? its an intel motherboard and intel only supports crossfire right?

it didnt say anywhere that 295 gtx requires NFORCE motherboard for sli

is there anyplace i can see if the second gpu is working? my computer DETECTS two gpu but who knows if the other is ACTUALLY WORKING? i tried nHancer but i get the same half green thing even if i active singel gpu mode.

i have tried drive cleaner and bios update.. no luck so far.
August 22, 2009 3:15:04 AM

further testing.. i dont have any framerate drop if i deactivate the multi-gpu.. and my card runs at 42c under load which i think its way too cold

do you need a sli motherboard to run 295 gtx? do i have to update anything except drivers? please tell me i have never had sli before.
August 22, 2009 6:02:09 AM

You shouldn't need an SLI motherboard to run a single GTX 295. What program is telling you that you have 2 GTX 295s?

Also, yes, having a PCI-E 1.0 could be an issue, that may be causing all the problems in fact.

However, unless I'm looking at a revision, the specs of your Mobo indicate it supports DDR3- if it supports DDR3 than it should have a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

Try uninstalling everything Nvidia. Reinstall all of it, and run your benchmarks again- also, this time give us some numbers.
Related resources
August 22, 2009 6:05:57 AM

Hi ya. I can't answer all of your questions, but a few at least.

You don't need an Sli motherboard for the 295. Wether or not both GPUs are working you should definately be getting better performance than an 8800 - as more or less 1 gpu should perform like a gtx260. And an nforce motherboard is not required. The best way I've found to determine if both cores are working is to monitor the temps - hwmonitor is good for this, but there are plenty of others.

And yes, under load 42c is very low... in fact lower than mine is at idle, which peaks at 80c running a stress test (furMark).

It sounds to me like the card isn't working anyway near its potential - though I'll have to leave it to someone who knows more than me to tackle that one.

Just to check though, you are using the latest drivers?
August 23, 2009 1:58:30 AM

yes ofcourse, have uninstalled them and reinstalled the latest several times.
August 23, 2009 3:13:32 AM

i tried hwmonitor but it didnt monitor anything on my graphic card.
riva tuner also just finds one gpu and the other unattached.
August 23, 2009 11:06:18 AM

Try installing the drivers again on top of the others, sometimes the GTX295 needs this in order to find the 2. GPU. I'v read about this problem on many gtx295 reviews. Personaly I did'nt have that problem.
August 23, 2009 11:34:05 AM

radiowars said:
Also, yes, having a PCI-E 1.0 could be an issue, that may be causing all the problems in fact.

I highly doubt that.
August 23, 2009 4:54:43 PM

okay, an update:

i installed some older drivers and suddenly all monitor programs started getting readings from the second core too.. dont know if performance did improve but atleast it gets warm =) goes up to almost 80c

i scored 14000 in furmark 1024x768 MSA none.. is that good for 295 gtx ?
August 23, 2009 6:35:45 PM

im only having 18a per 12v rail.. is that enough? i put three 12v cables and put two om em together to form one (with more amps im hoping) so that means 3x18a right? or doesnt it work that way?
August 29, 2009 9:21:24 PM

What "older drivers" worked for you?
September 1, 2009 7:08:50 PM

spajn said:
im only having 18a per 12v rail.. is that enough? i put three 12v cables and put two om em together to form one (with more amps im hoping) so that means 3x18a right? or doesnt it work that way?
Quote:

I just had a similar problem with my EVGA 8800gt SC. The problem was I changed the power supply to an OCZ 4 rail at 18A per 12v rail. (thought I was upgrading) My card requires 26A on a 12v rail. I installed my old power supply that is an Ultra single rail 34A and all of my problems went away. I would check your video card box manual or even manufactures website to verify how many amps required to run your video card on a 12v rail. I hope this helps.
September 1, 2009 9:46:11 PM

That seems like a really small power supply for one of those...
!