1.55v-1.6v too much for 5.0ghz CPU?

juggtalikus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
So I have my CPU sitting at 5.0ghz stable with the voltage on automatic. Ive got a p67 Sabertooth and the BIOS for it which makes OCing as easy as changing to frequency number and saving.

When I go into CPUZ it says im at 5.0ghz (1.6ghz idle with voltage at around 1.2v which does this automatically according to CPU load) and the voltage is around 1.6v for the 5.0 cpu clock. Temps for this clock when under load max out to around 120-135 farenheit so they arent really high which is good.

So my main question is, is 1.6v for a 5.0 clock too high? Is this stable? Why would my computer automatically adjust it to such voltage?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OK, i'll bite.....

Yes 1.6v is EXTREMELY high for a 5.0 Ghz OC.

Is it going to kill your chip, YES, next week, next month, in 6 months, can't tell you that, but it will degrade the heck out of it over time if not just flat out kill it some day.

What kind of cooler are you running to have a load temp of 57c with a 1.6vcore?

juggtalikus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Interesting...why then is my system automatically sending 1.6v of power to the CPU then by default? I set the CPU voltage in BIOS to Offset Mode instead of Maunual where you can adjust the voltage...well, manually lol.

The problem when I manually set the voltage is that I have tried everything in between 1.3 to 1.4 volts and after the windows loading screen ends, the screen just stays black, at which point I reset to BIOS and chance the CPU Voltage option back to Offset Mode instead of Manual...

Thoughts?

PS. My CPU Cooler is a Zalman CNPS 10x Performa...its been working awesome after I got it a week ago.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Because your computer is erring on the side of stability and doesn't care how long your processor lasts. That's why no-one that has a clue will overclock very high with self-overclocking utilities.

Yes, do a little research on overclocking before you destroy your processor. Once you learn what the BIOS entries are, it will give you a much better idea of what your doing.

It's NOT possible to run at 5.0Ghz with 1.6v vcore with your cooler. Run Prime95/Occt/IBT to see what your load temps really are. But I wouldn't recommend stressing that high with that cooler.

juggtalikus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
So what problem do you think im running into with this 5.0ghz OC? Every time I adjust the voltage from 1.2 all the way to 1.4 and boot, it posts nice and quick but remains at a black screen after windows loads before the login screen.

Is it just not getting enough juice? This doesnt seem likely at all...

Ive tried the following:
- change CPU Voltage to 1.2 all the way up to 1.4 (booting on and off to test the voltage) and the same thing with the black screen....
- Ive changed the overcurrent option all the way up to 120% (highest is 140%) with the test voltages

None of those worked and it only boots up properly when I change the CPU Voltage to [Auto].

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yes, I could ask you your exact processor and motherboard and give you all the setting to change in the BIOS to get your system to 5.0Ghz but I'm not going to do that.

There are a couple of reasons that it's a bad idea:
1: you still wouldn't have a clue what you are doing.
2:Your cooling won't support an overclock that high.

I've got an i7 2600K that can reach 5.0Ghz without a problem with custom water cooling and it still get's up to mid - high 60's under load. Start slower like 4.5Ghz and test your system to see what temps you are getting then move up from there. AND once again if you research what all the BIOS settings are for, it will make it a lot easier.

juggtalikus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Alright so check this out...

I currently got my CPU clocked at 4.6ghz stable at 1.35v. I went into BIOS and manually adjusted Load Line Calibration, CPU Current to 120%, etc. FINALLY it boots up (and rather quickly too) when I do it manually as apposed to having to leave it on auto to boot up to windows.

Im going to go a bit higher later today because so far my temps are good (idle: 26*C average on all cores, under load: 50-60c so its looking good)

juggtalikus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i would not recommend going above 1.4volts.
whatever you do to your chip above that voltage is your own responsibility.

No no I mean if I got t 5.0 stable with the right settings and didnt go above 1.4v, do you think I would really need a water cooled setup just to maintain temps? Because im actually at 4.8ghz stable now at 1.4v, havent tried going higher and the temps areent going above 60c (under load)

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i dont believe for a minute that you are running any zalman cooler at that OC and staying under 75c. I am running a Zalman 9900 with an OC at 4.1GHz and 1.39v, and my temps approach 60c. You NEED TO STRESS TEST YOUR SYSTEM! Prime95 for 2hrs is recommended at bare minimum, and believe me, this will save you from replacing your cpu and possibly the rest of your system. Heat kills...do your research!