Sony Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying to
find the best price to performance combination.

I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen a
few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines and
were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
change quite rapidly in the electronics world.

I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
prospective buyer like me.

Thanks in advance,
Krishna.

Hawk

I think Sony reliability and service is un-even. I have had two Sonys
and both have been very reliable laptops. And very good features and
performance for the price. (PCG-F420 and PCG-GRT150) But service has
been iffy. PCG-F420 had an LCD problem, Sony said send it to a service
center and if you want to spend the money we will work on it. Pretty
poor advice. PCG-GRT150 hardware volume control buttons quit working.
Sony advice to re-install the hot key utility was right on target.

I bought both of my Sonys at U-Bid. They are factory refurbished with
full factory warranty equal to a new computer. But the price is much
less than new.

Regards, hawk

Krishna N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
> past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying to
> find the best price to performance combination.
>
> I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
> does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen a
> few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
> which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines and
> were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
> that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
> change quite rapidly in the electronics world.
>
> I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
> recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
> prospective buyer like me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Krishna.

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

I pretty mucht think that the opinion about Sony has not changed in this
newsgroup (have been following for quite a while now) ...

Krishna N wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
> past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying to
> find the best price to performance combination.
>
> I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
> does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen a
> few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
> which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines and
> were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
> that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
> change quite rapidly in the electronics world.
>
> I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
> recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
> prospective buyer like me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Krishna.

This is the silence before the storm....

I think there are a few questions (!) about their service, but the laptops
are pretty good.

Duncan.

Duncan James Murray wrote:

> This is the silence before the storm....
>
> I think there are a few questions (!) about their service, but the laptops
> are pretty good.
>
> Duncan.
>

> "Krishna N" <njkmohan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
>>past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying

>>find the best price to performance combination.
>>
>>I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
>>does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen

>>few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
>>which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines
>
> and
>
>>were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
>>that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
>>change quite rapidly in the electronics world.
>>
>>I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
>>recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
>>prospective buyer like me.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Krishna.

For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

Remember, the specs do not tell the whole story.

--
John Doue

John Doue wrote:

> For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
> at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
> a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
> therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
> should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
> The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
and service-after-the-sale?

Larry

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> John Doue wrote:
>
>>For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
>>at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
>>a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
>>therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
>>should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
>>The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.
>

> When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
> and service-after-the-sale?
>
> Larry

Larry,

I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?

--
John Doue

John Doue wrote:

> Lawrence Glasser wrote:
>
> > John Doue wrote:
> >
> >>For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
> >>at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
> >>a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
> >>therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
> >>should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
> >>The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.
> >

> > When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
> > and service-after-the-sale?
> >
> > Larry
>
> Larry,
>
> I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?

I guess I took your post as stressing looks over all else. Looking back, I
can see where you might have been saying "In addition to everything else
(including service-after-the-sale), the way a display looks is crucial in
making a decision to by a certain system."

Yes?

Larry

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> John Doue wrote:
> >
> > Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> > > When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
> > > and service-after-the-sale?
> > >
> > > Larry
> >
> > Larry,
> >
> > I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?
>
> I guess I took your post as stressing looks over all else. Looking back, I
> can see where you might have been saying "In addition to everything else
> (including service-after-the-sale), the way a display looks is crucial in
> making a decision to by a certain system."
>
> Yes?
>
> Larry

Uuhhh, that was suposed to be "... buy a certain system."

Larry

Jim

I agree, my older Sony has a much better screen than my new IBM.

In article <109fe42qbtomfc@corp.supernews.com>, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:
>I think Sony reliability and service is un-even. I have had two Sonys
>and both have been very reliable laptops. And very good features and
>performance for the price. (PCG-F420 and PCG-GRT150) But service has
>been iffy. PCG-F420 had an LCD problem, Sony said send it to a service
>center and if you want to spend the money we will work on it. Pretty
>poor advice. PCG-GRT150 hardware volume control buttons quit working.
>Sony advice to re-install the hot key utility was right on target.
>
>I bought both of my Sonys at U-Bid. They are factory refurbished with
>full factory warranty equal to a new computer. But the price is much
>less than new.

I can't speak to reliability, not a big enough sample size, but my
experience with Sony suggests that if you use the laptop for important
stuff (ie your business) avoid sony. They just don't understand prompt
support and lifetime service.

They do make slick machines, but so does apple, Dell, IBM, and
Toshiba.

--
Al Dykes