Sign in with
Your question

Higher Overclock, less fps...bottleneck somewhere?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 15, 2011 9:54:43 PM

I currently have my gtx 560 non ti running at the following:
1062mv voltage
970 core
1940 shader
2150 mem
current performance: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67576864@N08/ (out of curiousity, anybody with a ti could compare gpu benchmarks?)

overclocking more at this point seems to be giving me worse results (~1-2fps less). Temps during gaming (crysis 2, metro 2033, etc is 70C at its highest, usually mid 60's)

Is this telling me its my cards upper limit? or is this telling me there is a bottleneck in my system? of which i wouldnt be surprised...

Specs
AMD Phenom X4 945 3.0 Deneb (stock)
4 Gigs of Ram DDR2 @ 800 (OCZ2RPR10664GK) (culprit?)
Biostar Mortherboard TA790GXE 128M
MSI Twin Frozr ii 560 GTX (non ti)
PSU: OCZ700MXSP

Now the motherboard brings a feature called overclock navigator engine. Give options to use either V6, V8, or V12 tech engine which overclocks the cpu and the rest of the system. Does anyone have experience using it and could this help?

Im throwing all the information out there at once to give you guys a better understanding of my situation.

Thank you all in advance.
September 15, 2011 10:23:26 PM

It's always odd when it happens but sometimes an OC doesn't work quiet right. In this case it could be that its not entirely stable. As for a bottleneck that CPU or the RAM could be the issue. The CPU is a few years older than the GPU and as such won't fully take advantage of everything its got, although I don't think that would cause less FPS with a game. On the other hand your memory is definitely using an aged interface. I still don't see how a bottleneck will decrease the FPS that you already get but if its anywhere it has to be there. Since the 560 uses DDR5 and your memory is DDR2 its POSSIBLE that there is an issue there, generally newer systems use DDR3 RAM for a reason.
m
l
September 15, 2011 11:09:48 PM

ragenalien said:
It's always odd when it happens but sometimes an OC doesn't work quiet right. In this case it could be that its not entirely stable. As for a bottleneck that CPU or the RAM could be the issue. The CPU is a few years older than the GPU and as such won't fully take advantage of everything its got, although I don't think that would cause less FPS with a game. On the other hand your memory is definitely using an aged interface. I still don't see how a bottleneck will decrease the FPS that you already get but if its anywhere it has to be there. Since the 560 uses DDR5 and your memory is DDR2 its POSSIBLE that there is an issue there, generally newer systems use DDR3 RAM for a reason.

I see what you are saying and thanks for the input...

anyone else might have an idea as to why?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 15, 2011 11:35:45 PM

If your overclocking your vid card and the result is lower performance, that means the overclock isn't stable, not 100 percent at least. I would lower the memory clock a little and re-test. If that doesn't work then you can either add voltage or lower the gpu/shaders a little.

Did you overclock everything at once or one at a time? It's always a good idea to overclock one part of the card at a time then test. That way you can track the performance and stability much easier.
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:12:48 AM

Cygnus x-1 said:
If your overclocking your vid card and the result is lower performance, that means the overclock isn't stable, not 100 percent at least. I would lower the memory clock a little and re-test. If that doesn't work then you can either add voltage or lower the gpu/shaders a little.

Did you overclock everything at once or one at a time? It's always a good idea to overclock one part of the card at a time then test. That way you can track the performance and stability much easier.

No i did the same as usual. Find max core and shader with stock voltage, tested and did the same for mem. Rinse and repeated as I upped the voltage. Go to this point (OP) and everything is great. Tried upping it again (core and shaders) and i got the lower fps on the benchmark. I didnt get any artifacts, white dots or anything to seem it was unstable...

Could it be my DDR2 ram running at 800 and my CPU being stock a cause for preventing further overclocking by the card? It really seems like the card has even more room to go...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2011 1:16:00 AM

Just because you didn't get artifacts doesn't mean the card is stable. Most newer cards have some kind of error correction build in.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 7:00:33 AM

You graphic card isn't the case unless it's not getting enough power and the frames are going up and dipping down fast.

But i would say that your DDR2 ram is the problem along with your power supply perhaps if you are running something under 500-600W.

The motherboard also might be the case.

CPU is not the case, 3ghz on a quad core should not be bottle-necking anything.
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:17:39 PM

trihedral said:
You graphic card isn't the case unless it's not getting enough power and the frames are going up and dipping down fast.

But i would say that your DDR2 ram is the problem along with your power supply perhaps if you are running something under 500-600W.

The motherboard also might be the case.

CPU is not the case, 3ghz on a quad core should not be bottle-necking anything.

Thanks for the reply. In my case, the power supply I'm sure isnt and issue, its an OCZ 700W PS. I figured it could be the ramand was planning on using the Overclock Navigator Engine provided by Biostar on the motherboard. I was told not only would it overclock my CPU but the RAM as well. Any suggestions to using this?
m
l
!