Whats up with the missing crossfire bridges

high tech redneck 1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Honestly, ive looked through more than 15 threads about this, but none answer my exact question. What is with all the new graphics cards from ATI NOT coming with crossfire bridges, or at least no pics on newegg for the cards show the crossfire bridges included. And on the websites like Visiontek, XFX, and Saphire, the box contents dont say anythign about a bridge included. So did ATI just decide that we have to buy bridges on our own, instead of it coming with the card? I need a dead on answer if anyone knows anything about this issue please.

I'd be pretty surprised if any crossfire capable card came without a bridge. I have extras lying around actually, since my mobo came with one and both of my 4870x2s came with one, even though only one is needed for the CF setup.

high tech redneck 1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

yeah, i saw on newegg the higher end card like a 4890, or the 4870 x2s come with a crossfire bridge. Also, how do your x2s perform? Because im thinking about putting 2 4850s in crossfire, but if you think i should get on 4870 X2, then later on i can get another card for quad crossfire, let me know.

Simple: Not everyone uses crossfire, in fact it's a small minority, thus it's an added expense to everyone else when cards are getting cheaper and cheaper, and a $1 add-in that adds maybe $5 in perceived value at best, makes little sense for a package that is getting very little margin to begin with and needs to compete with price differences of a few dollars as if they are huge gulfs, especially when doing raw fps/$ calculations that reviews often do to lazily compare cards.

Second, what length should they be? Crossfire cables should come with your MOBO not your card, because they know the length of the 2,3,4 PEG slots and don't need to guess at lengths.

It would be nice if all cards came with every accessory, but just like most don't come with an HDMI cable to attach to the adapter, there are something you will have to buy aftermarket.

There are definitely more than enough option to chose from on NewEgg from the major vendors;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999002

high tech redneck 1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Plus i only play games on a 19" monitor, at 1440x900 resolution. So crossfire would probly be a waste of money then? Cuz 2 4850s would be $240 OR i could buy one single 4890 for $200 and save $40. And maybe in the future buy a second 4890 when crossfire has all the tweaks worked out i suppose. Ive never done anythign like crossfire or SLI before, i was just gonna play with it, see what happens. But i guess i should save my money by getting a single 4890 for now since i only have a 19" mnitor, and i wont be upgrading my monitor for a few months anyway

They perform great honestly, and at 1920x1200 with AA, the scaling is better than I expected (>80% in several cases). At your res though, it probably isn't worth it.