Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Comp TIA A+ Certification

Last response: in Components
October 29, 2009 11:47:47 AM

I just found out that I have to take the A+ Certification exam for college. They didn't let me know about it all during the course and now I have to take it before next Wednesday. I have cramming like crazy and taking practice test on the CompTIA site, etc. Does anyone have any advice for a "newbie" on what areas to focus on for the test? Although I have learned a lot in the last three terms, I have only had three terms so I am relativelty new to IT. I don't want to waste time on things that won't be on the exam. Any web sites that are reliable or places to get "cram sheets", etc. would be greatly appreciated. I will be eating, breathing and living computers for the next few days so I can pass. Thank you very much for the help. :sweat: 

More about : comp tia certification

Best solution

October 29, 2009 12:35:26 PM

That seems odd, I got taught 9am till 5pm for 2 weeks straight to pass my CompTIA A+, by a qualified trainer.
I find it hard to beleive you would pass with that little time. There are so many things to learn for it, the actuall books for the Exam are 350 pages each, and there are 2 of them.

Edit: I didnt see you had been taught for 3 terms on it O.o, thats more than enough time.

PS. Go to http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/in... for practice tests, they are great.
October 29, 2009 1:50:18 PM

Are you comfortable bulding your own PC?

Are you comfortable installing Windows from scratch?

If you can answer yes to both those questions you will likely be fine for the A+ exam. It has recently been expanded to include 'people skills' to avoid having people like the tech guy from SNL, so hopefully thats been covered in your class.

The only potential cram material is know IRQ values, as well as common network ports, (i.e. 80 for HTML, 20 for FTP, etc)
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 29, 2009 4:37:34 PM

Thank you so much for the information. Now I have a better idea on what to focus on.
m
l
October 29, 2009 4:40:00 PM

deadjon said:
That seems odd, I got taught 9am till 5pm for 2 weeks straight to pass my CompTIA A+, by a qualified trainer.
I find it hard to beleive you would pass with that little time. There are so many things to learn for it, the actuall books for the Exam are 350 pages each, and there are 2 of them.

Edit: I didnt see you had been taught for 3 terms on it O.o, thats more than enough time.

PS. Go to http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/in... for practice tests, they are great.

Thank you for the information. I have been using the study guides and practice tests on the web site you listed.
m
l
November 4, 2009 11:25:08 PM

deadjon said:

Thanks for the information. I like that website. I've been using it a lot.
m
l
!