Sign in with
Your question

[Very First Build] help is appreciated

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2009 5:02:04 AM

OK so first, im kinda new to all this building but after dealing with ignorant Customer service im deciding to forgo them :p 

Ok to the important Stuff...

I've ALREADY purchased the following items, but i'd like to know if these are all good for an everyday machine with gaming/movie/music capabilities

Purchased

1.) Antec 900 two gaming case

2.) Samsung DVD Burner

3.) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1000GB (1TB) 32MB Cache for Data

4.) Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache for OS

5.) Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 Matched Pairs 4GB Kit

6.) Asus P5Q PRO Turbo Socket Mobo

7.) Corsair HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX EPS12V Power Supply

Planning on purchasing next

8.) Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Quad-Core

9.) Asus ENGTS250 DK

Now those are the components ( and i have to admit, i got giddy and already got everything installed, just waiting for final things)
but I want your opinons, something i maybe should look at in future?
known issues?
Etc

Also to let you know Im planning on running vista home premium for now, and planning on using the upgrade offer to get Windows 7 for free.

Though im looking at a linux partition down the road, anything i sould look out for?

PS.... on the mother board there is an 8 power connecter near a corner, but 4 of the wholes are filled in.... do i plug in a full 8 pins from power supply or just plug four?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

More about : build appreciated

August 2, 2009 5:07:16 AM

What resolution are you going to be running at? If you are going to be at 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 then you are going to want something stronger than a GTS250 if you can afford it.

The 'filled in' holes should have a flip up cap over them so that you can plug in an 8 pin connector, it only requires a 4 pin but is willing to accept an 8pin to accommodate a variety of PSU's.
August 2, 2009 5:11:07 AM

well right now anything high then 1024X768 I run now.....

for now its a crt but im going to a HD LCD moniter... eventally

But yeah I've been told to go with 260 but is it more of a good upgrade?
Also I was thinking of getting an ATI alternative, due to crossfire support on my board (and lack of SLI board support)

and so your say.... if i can support it, use?

it wont...fry anything?
Related resources
August 2, 2009 5:14:54 AM

Nope, it gives the motherboard access to more power if it needs it, if it doesnt sometimes they just wont even connect wires to the other 4 holes.

For your current resolution you wont come close to the max potential of even the GTS250, but if you move up to a full HD monitor like one running 1920x1080 then you will need a GTX260(make sure its the one with 216 stream processors) or a GTX275, they are more expensive but you will be amazed by the difference in graphics quality between low detail and high detail.

The ATI alternative of the GTS250 is a 4850, a 4870 is about 30 more but will be able to handle full HD while being cheaper than its nvidia counterpart.
August 2, 2009 5:20:33 AM

well originally i was goig to get this CPU but ive been told quad is way to go so..... yeah i dunno

is this better for me?
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket LGA775, 3 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm

so your saying this is a viabe alternative to the Nvidea card, and still get me the higher resoloution?

ALSO i forgot to mention this is also for audio class as a home mixing station, as i have same mixing program used at my school.

Nuendo, if you wish to know
August 2, 2009 5:27:30 AM

psycrosis said:
well originally i was goig to get this CPU but ive been told quad is way to go so..... yeah i dunno

is this better for me?
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket LGA775, 3 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm

If you aren't planning on doing major video / photo editing or encoding, the E8400 is the way to go. You will see a much better performance in gaming over the Q8xxx series Quad Cores. If you want a Quad, I would recommend the Q9550 but your cost goes up with that...
August 2, 2009 5:33:32 AM

no nothing major, maydabbling here and there but the most intensive thing may just be audio mixing and games.

Besides if i really wanted, i could swap in another processer later right?

and about that 8-pin power, its pretty much an auxilary power thats there if i need it?

so im safe right? i just dont wanna mess this up you know
August 2, 2009 5:42:01 AM

psycrosis said:
no nothing major, maydabbling here and there but the most intensive thing may just be audio mixing and games.

Besides if i really wanted, i could swap in another processer later right?

and about that 8-pin power, its pretty much an auxilary power thats there if i need it?

so im safe right? i just dont wanna mess this up you know

Yes... you can swap processers later...

You are safe... meaning it is okay to plug your 8-pin connector into the motherboard after you remove the cover over the other four pins... :D 
August 2, 2009 5:45:41 AM

OK cool thanks,

and lets say I go crossfire, do need the exact same card again or can you use a newer card?

or am i better to stick with nVidea?

as right now all i got to compare with is a 9200SE radeon :S
August 2, 2009 5:49:21 AM

The rule with crossfire is that they have to be similar cards, you can crossfire a 4830 with anything from the 48xx series but it will all get reduced to the lowest common denominator so if you have a 1 GB 4830 and a 512 MB 4870 it will give you crossfire equal to the performance of 2 512MB 4830s in crossfire because it reduces the clock speed of the fastest card to match the slowest card and both cards are restricted to the lowest amount of ram that either of the cards has.

Crossfire is compatible with far more boards than nVidia SLI is because SLI is licensed out so you can only SLI on nVidia chipsets or the X58 chipset for the i7, so if you want to consider going dual card in the future stick with ATI.
August 2, 2009 5:50:00 AM

psycrosis said:
OK cool thanks,

and lets say I go crossfire, do need the exact same card again or can you use a newer card?

or am i better to stick with nVidea?

as right now all i got to compare with is a 9200SE radeon :S

Two things:
1.) You need the exact same card to Crossfire / SLI...
2.) You can't SLI on your motherboard. It only supports Crossfire setups, so in your case you are better to stick with ATI.

edit hunter315 your beat me by 29 seconds!! I'm getting closer to you!! :p 
!