nukem419

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I've been using my LCD tv as a monitor now for awhile, and at the moment theres really no need for me to have a computer desk in my living room. So, i decided it was time to junk my old case and pick up a media center style case that will fit in my TV stand. However, I figured why stop there? I may as well build an entirely new system.
Most media boxes are cramped making them difficult to work with and unable to fit big CPU coolers or lots of fans. I chose the areocool M40 because it has alot of head room over the CPU with the upper deck cut out, it can fit everything that I need and the double deck set up makes it easy to work on.
I just got this case yesterday, Ran out of paint so the bottom deck is only partialy painted and I still need to clean up the hole I cut into the upper deck a bit more. I ended up drilling out some of the pop rivits to get the latch releases out of the upper deck and to pull out the 5.25 drive bay encloser. I plan on finishing painting the frame and HDD/ 5.25 bays for the time being, latter on I will end up having to do some serrious work to the front pannels to fit a fan controler. was thinking about adding a window on top, and fans on side but I'm not sure I can make that work right. The pictures don't do the paint justice (taken with Iphone), it's a red candy paint with lots of silver chips in it. I'm painting it with 2 coats of primer, 2 color base coats, and 1 or 2 clear coats. should look as glossy as the black on the outside when finished.

Picture006.jpg

lower deck

Picture011.jpg

hinged double deck

Picture014.jpg

upper deck

Picture013.jpg

back side

Picture031.jpg

backside half painted

Picture043.jpg

upper deck hole cut out

Picture015.jpg

side and 5.25 bay removed on top deck

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/nukem419/Picture027.jpg
removed bays and hardware for side

Picture019.jpg

out of the box

Will post more pics as I move along with this project

Will be vinyl dyeing the front plates also; but that will have too waitl until I'm done with everything else.

nukem419

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
tried removing the areocool logo and white outline from around the LCD display. paint remover worked great, didn't think it would melt through the plastic too though lol. Took me an hour to sand and polish it to a point where it looks ok. I don't think I will ever be able to get it perfectly shinny again but oh well.

nukem419

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Finished painting, left a few minor tool marks from pop riviting it back together and I had to sand some of the paint off to get the plastic clips that hold the deck together on. In retrospec I should have just left the clips off, don't really need them. Sanded down the lcd display with 1000 grit, looks perfect from about 5 feet away but up close it looks allmost like it's smudged. I'm going back over it with 2500grit next time I run by the hobby shop in town. heres some more pic's, it looks way better in person though the resolution on my camera isn't high enough to show the gloss and detail in the paint. I painted the top deck a slightly darker shade than the bottom, it's allmost maroon. Add's a bit more depth to it's look, allso left the bays, kickstand and hinge hardware bare steel.

Picture2006.jpg

Picture2005.jpg

Picture2004.jpg

Picture2003.jpg

Picture2002.jpg

Picture2001.jpg

nukem419

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

thanks 8) it's red though lol. getting fans, PSU and maybe a motherboard this weekend. this thing is going to cost me a small fortune, allready spent 60 in paint and rivets (20 bucks for a pop rivet tool) 120 something for the case and the SSD bay.

True that!!! But it looks more like a Red/Orange mix....Unless it time for me to go to the eye doctor.... :pfff: Anyways it looks superb, congrats on the paint job.... Keep up the good work!!!