A new fan for my ASUS HD3870X2

tomzzz8

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hi,

I've got a HD3870X2 from ASUS, which has 2 cores, but I'm having some cooling problems. The fan has to be set to 60% in order to keep the card cool enough while playing games, else it will be set to 100% as soon as it gets to like 70-80 degrees centigrade, by the control program: Asus Smartdoctor.
Now the problem is that the fan makes quite a lot of noise, which I want to limit, but I also don't want the card to get too hot, and if I'm playing a game it often occurs that the fan speed is set to 100%, which produces an extreme amount of sound, so I have to set it to a higher speed than I started playing with.

So I want to buy another fan cooler, but I don't know of any fans compatible with 2 cores, as they both need to be cooled, and most coolers are produced in order to cool only one core, and in that case one of my cores will be cooled and the other won't be cooled.
The card is practically dust free, so that's not the problem, I really need a new fan to replace the stock cooler.
When I bought my computer, in april 2008, a speed of 30-40%(30% with normal desktop use and 40 when playing games) was enough, but now it's 50-60%..

Thanking you in advance,

Tomas Peeters