Low Cost Media Storage

BinaryBean

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
So I've come into a few old computers (P3,P4s) and hard drives. I had heard that to make a media server at home I wouldn't need a very fast motherboard? does anyone know if I could do it with these? and how I could do it....cheep...?
Thanks! :)

BinaryBean

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for the heads up!

Unfortunatly these are all I have on hand and I don't exactly have a buget for this project, so I've decided to give it a try for the learning process.

I guess I will just have to make sure that I don't keep important data on them untill I can upgrade the drives. It will be a good system for me to make mistakes on.
....but do you think using the P4 should be fast enough?
.....what limits my number of drives?
:)

P4 will have pleny of speed, but you want a good amount of RAM, 4gig would be good.

Drives are limited by the case and motherboard connections. Most basic motherboards, if you don't use the optical drive, will limit you to 4 ATA plus whatever SATA ports you have.

BinaryBean

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well looks like I might run into a RAM problem then....it takes RDRAM and it seems a little more sparse than any other option, and again with no buget I may need to rethink this project....I guess there's the P3? RAM might be cheeper and easier to find.
Think it would work?
Thanks For the Help :)

Good luck with that, I think it was on the market for maybe a year. And not very popular when it was available.

I did manage to sell the sticks I had on ebay and got a new Athelon 64 CPU when they were new, so it's not a totally useless tech.

Check ebay.

BinaryBean

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I was hoping not to use up a drive just for that. The documentation also stated that if you do it that way you don't have access to the remaining portion of the drive, so suggested USB boot is recommended. But if that's the way I have to do it then that's the way i'll try.
Thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS