ATI 5 series / i5

omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I wasnt exactly sure where to stick this post but since its partially about the ati 5 series card i figured id put it here.
My question is, is it normal for there to be a giant lack of information about these products when it is so close to their speculated release dates?
Ive heard many many many rumors about both of these dropping within the next two months. Wouldnt these companies be showing all sorts of demonstrations and benchmarks in order to hype up these products? It leads me to believe that these products wont be coming out for awhile.

ill rephrase the question just to clarify. Obviously there is always a tremendous amount of speculation with new and upcoming products like the ones we are about to see, but speculation aside is it normal to have as little information as we (as a community) have before a release date?

I understand that the release dates are speculative as well, im just in the process of putting together a new machine and wanted to use this information to help influence whether i buy the machine now, or wait a month.

Solution
No this is normal and the main reason for it is that if they go running their mouths about when they will be released and how powerful they will be it will affect sells of their current product. Someone will hear "oh it's 10x faster and coming out tomorrow?" and not buy the current cards which the companies are still dependent on revenue from those sales.

I am not sure about the i5's but the 5000 series should hit within the next month or 2 at the latest.

Also keep in mind, while not all, some of those 'rumors' are real and spread by the company themselves now and again just to generate a buzz. Hard to say which are and which aren't.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
No this is normal and the main reason for it is that if they go running their mouths about when they will be released and how powerful they will be it will affect sells of their current product. Someone will hear "oh it's 10x faster and coming out tomorrow?" and not buy the current cards which the companies are still dependent on revenue from those sales.

I am not sure about the i5's but the 5000 series should hit within the next month or 2 at the latest.

Also keep in mind, while not all, some of those 'rumors' are real and spread by the company themselves now and again just to generate a buzz. Hard to say which are and which aren't.

Solution

omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Thanks bro, great answer. Not really the one i wanted cause now im even more on the fence. but such is life :)
anyway, thanks again