Sign in with
Your question

ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3 & 2500k OC problems, need assist

Last response: in Overclocking
September 16, 2011 12:23:35 PM

Hi all, i got the above motherboard and cpu with Gskll ripjawsx RAM, Be Quiet Dark rock advanced cooler, corsair hx 750 psu.

Trying to overclock on this motherboard seems to be a little different to what i have used before and i am having trouble gettin past 4.5GHz, i get error code 70 (something to do with DXE southbridge) when trying anything over 4.5. The temperatures are nothing above 62C on Prime after about an hour.

I think that i am not getting any proper control over the Vcore, so i cant boost voltage through cpu enough to get to higher clocks. Is this a limitation of the motherboard UEFI or am i missing something that i really should have seen?

Also, a different issue i have is that my HX750 psu makes a sound that goes on and off, not very loud and slightly buzzy, when under load during games. it doesnt seem to happen running prime or tesmark, so im a little unsure about whats going on here.

Really appreciate any help, thanks.
September 16, 2011 12:42:35 PM

The PSU is "probably" just louder due to more heat to dissapate on load (bare in mind that when prime, gpu is idle, on games its on load).

On the overclocking, it might be a limit, but since i have no expirince with those i cant be sure.
September 16, 2011 1:03:21 PM

cats_Paw said:
The PSU is "probably" just louder due to more heat to dissapate on load (bare in mind that when prime, gpu is idle, on games its on load).

On the overclocking, it might be a limit, but since i have no expirince with those i cant be sure.

thanks for your input.
I have tested with tesmark as well, that puts the gpu load on 100%, i think it must be the cpu and gpu combo,

Also, the sound is a constant fan kind of sound, it is intermittent but not quite in a pattern.

Related resources
September 18, 2011 10:20:29 PM

Still looking for help on this :-s

Does anybody else have this board, or know any solutions?
September 22, 2011 9:34:11 AM

Roverno said:
Hi all, i got the above motherboard and cpu with Gskll ripjawsx RAM, Be Quiet Dark rock advanced cooler, corsair hx 750 psu.

Trying to overclock on this motherboard seems to be a little different to what i have used before and i am having trouble gettin past 4.5GHz, i get error code 70 (something to do with DXE southbridge) when trying anything over 4.5. The temperatures are nothing above 62C on Prime after about an hour.

I think that i am not getting any proper control over the Vcore, so i cant boost voltage through cpu enough to get to higher clocks. Is this a limitation of the motherboard UEFI or am i missing something that i really should have seen?

Also, a different issue i have is that my HX750 psu makes a sound that goes on and off, not very loud and slightly buzzy, when under load during games. it doesnt seem to happen running prime or tesmark, so im a little unsure about whats going on here.

Really appreciate any help, thanks.

Not sure from your post where you getting error code from... most of the issues I had with instabilities of any type related to vcore voltage insufficiency.

This what I gave mine to get 47x on air; ran quite hot tho. (click on Banner)

regards
Lex

September 25, 2011 9:12:16 AM

I get the error code from the 2 digit readout on the motherboard. I dont think it is the Vcore that is the issue since i tried many voltages, high and low, and it didn't solve anything.
September 25, 2011 9:25:34 AM

Roverno said:
I get the error code from the 2 digit readout on the motherboard. I dont think it is the Vcore that is the issue since i tried many voltages, high and low, and it didn't solve anything.

doesn't the manufacturer have a list of error codes for its mobo's???

Look here

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677...
September 25, 2011 9:27:24 AM

yes, i know what the error is, i mentioned it at the top. but i dont know how to prevent/fix it.
September 25, 2011 9:43:14 AM

Roverno said:
yes, i know what the error is, i mentioned it at the top. but i dont know how to prevent/fix it.

not error code.. is initiallization.... sorry its late i got to think on it
September 25, 2011 12:49:17 PM

Correct, it is the southbridge DXE initialization, but it gets stuck on this whenever i try and boot at anything over 4.5ghz.
October 23, 2011 11:25:23 AM

Bump, really need a solution to this!
November 17, 2011 5:21:15 PM

Hi I had the same problem with "code 70", I figured how to get past it. you need to disable the intel virtualization technology option and the IGD multi-monitor option and you are past the error codes but now it's stuck on a black screen with a blinking underline. so if anyone has any suggestions now it will be helpful. also it "sticks" there if my clock is over 4400Mhz, if it is bellow it boots OK so its the same as the code 70 but just in a different place :pfff:  .
November 17, 2011 6:51:03 PM

Thanks for sharing, now we just need a way to get over the second hurdle. Hopefully other people will find this thread and we can get through this problem together.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 1:04:06 AM

4.5 is pretty good for this motherboard from what I have read. I would settle for 4.5, there is really no need to go higher. The VRM's on the board are not the best, if you want more than 4.5, you should have invested in a better motherboard (although not worth the money for little gain IMO).
a b V Motherboard
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 2:53:59 AM

Could very well be the way some of your BIOS settings are set, I have an ASRock P67 Extreme 4, you can check out the guide in my sig and see if it helps you any.
!