yodathegreen

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
ok heres my problem:

I have a 19'' lcd screen and a 32'' hdtv hooked up to my Gforce 7800GS.

I can clone and I can extend but they both run in 4:3 aspect ratio which does not look good on the TV (cuts off too much). What do I have to do so that the monitor runs in 4:3 and the hdtv runs in 16:9?

I dont want to do anything more than clone or extend cause I'm only using the tv when I want a larger screen for movies.

Both are hooked up with DVI -> HDMI.

NVIDIA forums all complain about the programs not having the option to change aspect ratios.

So my question(s) are will my card work for this? Do I need 3rd party software? Would going SLI with two 7800s make it work? Do i need to upgrade the video card to something newer?

Any thoughts or solutions are welcome.

Any more information can be provided. (and ill throw in im running vista 64 if that matters)

Thanks in advance!

yodathegreen

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
well I went looking for the paperwork for the TV to make sure the model number but I couldn't find it. but I'm 99% sure this one linked (i hope links are ok) is the one I have. and it says the resolution is 1366x768 which the closest that my video card finds is 1360x768 which i would figure is close enough but it shows up going too big on the TV. I didnt buy the most expensive TV so that may be why its not a common resolution but it works perfectly for cable and xbox 360...i guess 2/3 reasons i bought it aren't bad.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10913075#ShortReviewTitleBar

ummm any other solutions?

oh, i did try to set custom resolutions under my Nvidea control panel but it kept saying custom resolution failed.

yodathegreen

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
OK, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I appreciate your help, its just that school has started and been busy.

So I set the TV resolution to 1280x720 and kept the Computer Monitor at 1440x900, and I had almost as crisp as a image on the tv as I have on the computer. (which from what I understand is normal cause computer monitors are just way better in that aspect.) This is nice. Im still getting the problem of not having the full screen. ex, background image, or making a window full screen. It gets cut off.

This is a Print Screen image which took both screens in one shot (thought I was gunna have to do two images) to show what I mean. Even put a Star Wars wallpaper up to go with my name =P. oh, and I put a internet window on each screen to show the crispness of the type that I owe to you....Wasnt able to get that before, but my image host has a maximum image size and reduced it too much to see =(. But just know, I can now read type on both screens ^_^.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Raen/Desktops.gif

OK, so the image is to show you the cut off problem, and to ask if there is a fix for it. Thanks

Forgot to add, left side is computer, right is TV. Which mouse is on right, only top and left are flush. If i move the mouse "off" the screen to the right or bottom, it gets lost in nothingness.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
same place you selected your wallpaper there will be a pull down menu with center, stretch, and tile. if you select stretch it should stretch it to the screen size.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
ok mouse issue in dsiplay manager you will see the two monitors represented by icons just click and hold one then drag it to the proper orientation in respect to the other.

As to screen size my best idea it to go through the resolutions you have available until until you are using the most screen without going off of it. If that does work for you let me know what you end up at so i can tell the next guy.