Hitachi HD and T23 BIOS- please help

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 4:01:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I just haven't been able to get a new Hitachi e7K60 HD to work in my
T23. I know it should be done easily, but I now suppose that there are
important details that are not obvious to everyone.

I live outside the US, so no Hitachi support at reach.
Before attempting to do anything, I studied very carefully the aspects
involved in a HD replacement. I follow one by one the steps indicated
by IBM (power off/unplug all cables/remove battery, etc)
I handled the new HD as a baby, avoiding any possible shock.
And: all the time I took extra care about pin orientation since the
IDE female socket in the T23 could have a disk inserted the wrong way.
So I followed exactly the orientation used by the Fujitsu HD.

After removing the current HD (20 gig Fujitsu), I inserted the new one
and booted with a Win98SE boot CD.
I was able to run FDISK and created a primary partition, and set it as
"active".
Then re-booted and formatted with FORMAT /S. "100 %" completed.

I then re-booted without the boot CD and after a few messages
apparently expecting an instalation, I could see that there was file
"Command.com" in drive C:

As my daughter called for attention, I had to continue later. So I
carefully repeated all steps for removing the new HD and re-inserted
the current one. At every sneak-out chance back in the T23, I took the
time to study more and plan an ideal partition configuration, and
printed the annotations.

Then when I had another big chance, I did the same thing replacing the
HD. But this time, the news :
- The w98 boot CD says:
"Windows 98 has detected that drive C doe snot contain a valid FAT or
FAT32 partition. There are several possible causes:"
1- drive is not partitioned
2- third-party partitioning software
3- virus

- I ran FDISK, and it said: "No fixed disks present".

- I booted without the CD, and the T23's display showed:
"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Operating system not found "

I have an external ADS Firewire enclosure, and with an adapter I was
able to connect the Hitachi HD. Turned on the power on the enclosure
and I could clearly listen to the HD's typical spinning noise.

So now I'm running out of clues. It's unlikely that the T23 cable is
bad since the Fujitsu is back here.
How could the Hitachi go bad and still be spinning in the enclosure ?

Finally, there are two areas where things aren't too clear:
1- Jumpers: I don't understand how they work. There are pin diagrams
printed on the HD but what exactly should be done about them, and
how? I hear that in desktops, the jumpers are small connectors
attached to the HDs. Don't see any with the notebook ones.

2- BIOS. Looking at a Compaq laptop's BIOS, I noticed that there are
several menus there which I couldn't see in the T23, where there's
only a "Config" menu. I read somewhere that the BIOS should be set for
an "auto-detect"feature for new HDs. Well I looked for that but it
must be well hidden cause I couldn't find it in the submenu options.

So if anyone out there is knowlegeable and kind enough to help, I
really need step-by-step instructions on how to deal with either the
BIOS HD settings and/or jumpers. I'd really would like to be sure that
I haven't missed anything before I finally give up on this HD.

I can't understand why the disk was there, FDISKed and FORMATed, to
then in the next time to be completely ignored.

Many thanks for patiently reading this.

More about : hitachi t23 bios

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 1:09:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The PXE lines are just the lappie looking for a LAN boot, double check that
you have HDD set in bios as a valid boot device also in the bios

<visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br> wrote in message

> [...]
> how? I hear that in desktops, the jumpers are small connectors
> attached to the HDs. Don't see any with the notebook ones.
>
> 2- BIOS. Looking at a Compaq laptop's BIOS, I noticed that there are
> several menus there which I couldn't see in the T23, where there's
> only a "Config" menu. I read somewhere that the BIOS should be set for
> an "auto-detect"feature for new HDs. Well I looked for that but it
> must be well hidden cause I couldn't find it in the submenu options.
>
> So if anyone out there is knowlegeable and kind enough to help, I
> really need step-by-step instructions on how to deal with either the
> BIOS HD settings and/or jumpers. I'd really would like to be sure that
> I haven't missed anything before I finally give up on this HD.
>
> I can't understand why the disk was there, FDISKed and FORMATed, to
> then in the next time to be completely ignored.

May 5, 2004 1:33:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

Yes. In the Config/Boot menu, it shows:
+ Removable Revices
+ Hard Drive
FUJITSU MHR2020AT-(PM)
CD-ROM Drive
IBA 4.0.22 Slot 0240

This is the only reference to hard drive that I found in the BIOS. Is
this where I should change anything ?

"Garf" <asui48@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>The PXE lines are just the lappie looking for a LAN boot, double check that
>you have HDD set in bios as a valid boot device also in the bios
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 1:34:29 PM

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

Thanks Terry, downloaded all their PDF files. Still reading.

terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote:

>go to http://www.hitachigst.com
>do a search for your info there .
>hope this helps ,
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2004 1:38:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sometimes drives do not seat all the way. Try removing the caddy, put
a piece of shipping tape so you can pull the drive back out, and
carefully align the pins and insert the drive ALL THE WAY IN.

On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:09:14 +0100, "Garf" <asui48@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> how? I hear that in desktops, the jumpers are small connectors
>> attached to the HDs. Don't see any with the notebook ones.
>>
>> 2- BIOS. Looking at a Compaq laptop's BIOS, I noticed that there are
>> several menus there which I couldn't see in the T23, where there's
>> only a "Config" menu. I read somewhere that the BIOS should be set for
>> an "auto-detect"feature for new HDs. Well I looked for that but it
>> must be well hidden cause I couldn't find it in the submenu options.
>>
>> So if anyone out there is knowlegeable and kind enough to help, I
>> really need step-by-step instructions on how to deal with either the
>> BIOS HD settings and/or jumpers. I'd really would like to be sure that
>> I haven't missed anything before I finally give up on this HD.
>>
>> I can't understand why the disk was there, FDISKed and FORMATed, to
>> then in the next time to be completely ignored.

May 7, 2004 9:18:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

That's an interesting idea. I will definitely try it.
Looking forward now for my next long break chance,
as these things can't be done in a hurry or in the company
of young children.
Many thanks for keeping up my hopes.

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote:

>Sometimes drives do not seat all the way. Try removing the caddy, put
>a piece of shipping tape so you can pull the drive back out, and
>carefully align the pins and insert the drive ALL THE WAY IN.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 9:37:41 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
>Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your T23?
>How about the latest BIOS controller?

I don't have the latest BIOS. The one in my T23 is dated "2002".
So I guess I'll have to go that road too, afraid that I was for never
having done it before.
Let me abuse of your generosity, by further exposing my ignorance :
1- In which order should I run the software: BIOS first, and then the
controller ?
2- Is it safer to run the programs from floppy drives? In which case I
suppose I just have to copy the appropriate executables to a diskette
and not actually install it ? (I was reading about the Hitachi HD
Fitness utility and that one is actually installed to the diskette)
3- Does it matter, for BIOS updating, that I have a dual boot system
with several partitions in the current HD?
4- Will the updated BIOS display HD information somewhere other than
only in the "Config/Boot" sub-menu that I see currently ?
5- Even in current BIOS, shouldn't there be such HD information and
choices for HD "auto-detect" or "primary master" somewhere?

Many thanks for your help, gives me hope that this baby will still
come to life at some point.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 12:30:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br wrote:
> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>

> Yes. In the Config/Boot menu, it shows:
> + Removable Revices
> + Hard Drive
> FUJITSU MHR2020AT-(PM)
> CD-ROM Drive
> IBA 4.0.22 Slot 0240
>
> This is the only reference to hard drive that I found in the BIOS. Is
> this where I should change anything ?
>

> "Garf" <asui48@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>The PXE lines are just the lappie looking for a LAN boot, double check that
>>you have HDD set in bios as a valid boot device also in the bios

According to what you say above the bios is not seeing the new drive
(Hitachi) as it still reports a fujitsu drive.

Sorry if I am missing something.

Charles

--

Please remove _removeme_ to reply.