Laptop screen display area vs. monitor

william

I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that has a
15" screen and noticed that certain web sites only take
up roughly 3/4 of the screen width. The exact same
websites occupy the entire screen width on my previous 17"
monitor running windows 98. Is there a setting in XP for
my new laptop that maximizes the amount of screen used?
Thanks in advance.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:41:57 -0700, William wrote:

> I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that has a
> 15" screen and noticed that certain web sites only take
> up roughly 3/4 of the screen width. The exact same
> websites occupy the entire screen width on my previous 17"
> monitor running windows 98. Is there a setting in XP for
> my new laptop that maximizes the amount of screen used?
> Thanks in advance.

The browser window is maximized in both cases (on laptop and on old
computer)? If yes, how wide a page displays is determined by the page
author's html. Some will write the page so that it is automagically resized
to the width of the user's screen. Others will "optimize" for a particular
resolution - often 800x600 since this is available and usable on most PC
setups.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:41:57 -0700, William wrote:

> I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that has a
> 15" screen and noticed that certain web sites only take
> up roughly 3/4 of the screen width. The exact same
> websites occupy the entire screen width on my previous 17"
> monitor running windows 98. Is there a setting in XP for
> my new laptop that maximizes the amount of screen used?
> Thanks in advance.

Additional comment:

If you are referring to pages that open in a separate smaller browser
windows: Close all browser windows except the smaller one. Resize this
window using the mouse - pull out the edges as close to full size as
possible. Then close the window using File> Close.

These actions should establish a remembered size for secondary browser
windows in your Windows settings. Occasionally, this remembered size gets
reset. If that happens, just repeat the above steps.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hello,

You have two option, one reduce the resolution or maximize desktop...