Changing optical drive

ranger_23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello all,
Due to mechanical failure I was going to disable the internal dvd drive via
device manager. Now what I want to do is connect an external dvd drive to totally
replace the internal. Is this possible? Would it be a matter of going into the computer
management section and designating the external drive as the new E drive? Or, with
the old optical drive disabled does the new external automatically become the E drive?
Also would I need to do any bios adjustments? Thanks.
I have an hp dv6 laptop with windows 7.

Solution
1) When you disable the internal DVD drive, you'll want to disconnect it as well. When you disable it in Device Manager, it'll want to reload it upon your next start up, as a new device.

2) I would install the external before booting up, let it go through the start up and loading of drivers process (most likely a reboot to finalize) than I would change the drive letter in Disk Management, if needed.

3) I don't think you'll need to do anything in the BIOS, at this point until you need to do something with a reinstall of Win 7 .

tecmo34

Administrator
1) When you disable the internal DVD drive, you'll want to disconnect it as well. When you disable it in Device Manager, it'll want to reload it upon your next start up, as a new device.

2) I would install the external before booting up, let it go through the start up and loading of drivers process (most likely a reboot to finalize) than I would change the drive letter in Disk Management, if needed.

3) I don't think you'll need to do anything in the BIOS, at this point until you need to do something with a reinstall of Win 7 .

Solution

ranger_23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Thanks Tecmo
I assume by disconnect you mean the internal dvd cables? Is that different
from the uninstall option in device manager? Just wondering what the diff is between disable
and uninstall within device manager. Thanks again.