HAF 932, i7, Biostar, Hyper; 212 Plus, etc....

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
A couple quick questions if you can help out. I do not know a lot about computers so I may not explain things correctly.

I just got an i7 2600k and Biostar TZ68A+RCH, HAF 932 Advanced, 16gb Corsair RAM, XFX 650 watt psu, 5850 gpu, and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with an additional fan I bought to utilize push/pull (because I heard the stock i7 fan doesnt cool well). i7 is at 4.5ghz and RAM is at 1600mhz at 1.65 volts. Running Prime 95 the CPU never goes above 59C.

1. Can I push the i7 to a higher ghz and still be safe? Is 59C in 75F room temp too hot under full load?

2. When I put my computer in sleep/hibernate, all the case fans and LEDs would stay on. I read that changing something in the BIOS from S1 to S3 would fix it, and it did. So Im glad that worked. But with my old computer I could press any key on the keyboard to take out of sleep, with this rig I have to press the power button. Its a small annoyance, but is there a way to let the keyboard take it out of sleep?

3. All the fans make the case pretty loud. Im coming from an HP case that was small and had like 1 fan, so it was pretty quite. Any way to make the 932 more quiet?

4. The 932 Advanced has 2-USB 3.0 ports on the front. In the tower it has a connector from the 3.0's that I assume are supposed to plug into the mobo. When installing everything, I couldnt find out where on the mobo to connect it. Does my mobo not have this connection? Is there an adapter or anything I can use so I can utilize these 2 USB 3.0 ports?

5. Anything else I should know about or can do to pimp this mother out even more?

Solution
1- yes but watch your core voltage. Anything below ~70'C at 100% load should be fine.

2- the fix for this was to disable PLL Overvoltage on my Asus board.

3- remove or replace the load fans with quieter ones, maybe with more air flow as well.

4- The HAF X came with an adapter cable that ran out the back and plugged into any 3.0 port there to enable the front ports. Maybe there is one in your case, if not contact cooler master support.

5- you could go cheap and add a coffee maker, or go all in and set up some custom water cooling loops.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
1- yes but watch your core voltage. Anything below ~70'C at 100% load should be fine.

2- the fix for this was to disable PLL Overvoltage on my Asus board.

3- remove or replace the load fans with quieter ones, maybe with more air flow as well.

4- The HAF X came with an adapter cable that ran out the back and plugged into any 3.0 port there to enable the front ports. Maybe there is one in your case, if not contact cooler master support.

5- you could go cheap and add a coffee maker, or go all in and set up some custom water cooling loops.

Solution

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Thank you for the info.

With #4, there is a black cable that connects the two USB 3.0 ports into one female connector. What I mean was that I couldnt find a place on my mobo to plug that connector to. Maybe my mobo doesnt have that specific connector?