Am 3 or fm1?

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
depends. you gaming or not? if no, fm1 to get a good balance. if you want to game then go am3+(am3 will keep you locked to phenom II's, am3+ will allow you to use phenom II or the new bulldozer).

Depends on your uses for the machine. AM3+ opens up the potential for superior performance, across the board. Of course, if maximizing performance is your goal, you should look at an Intel system unless your budget is severely constrained. If you want to absolutely minimize complexity, while still getting good general performance, then FM1 would be a decent choice.
If you are contemplating a new build, you will get the best and most relevant advice by starting a new build thread and filling out the sticky on how to ask for new build advice.

FM1 is a dead end socket. You can only install Llano APUs in it. The Trinity APU coming out next year is not expected to be compatible with FM1; it will be socket FM2.

AM3+ is a better bet because AMD will release one more CPU for it; I think it is called Komodo and is supposed to have up to 10 cores. However, I think that will be the end of the line for AM3+. It does not really make much sense for AMD to manufacture both a CPU and an APU. AMD will likely phase out production of CPUs in favor of APUs sometime after the release of Komodo.

I must respectfully disagree, unless you believe they can target an APU for the server market. We may not see a lot of mainstream DESKTOP CPUs (Bulldozer's failure on the Desktop may have been an unfortunate but necessary consequence of its focus on the server market), but I don't think AMD is going to want to waste TDP or silicon real estate on graphics components on a server chip.

I don't think AMD has said whether FM2 chips would work in FM1 sockets. So it may be a little premature to declare FM1 a dead end socket.

AM3 has at least one more processor coming. It may well have more.

It makes perfect sense for AMD to manufacture both CPU and APU. They will have to for server parts anyways, as jtt283 said. And higher end parts will likely continue to be GPU free.