Ext. HDD for 4TB NAS Backup

codebreak

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend a GOOD 4TB External HDD (not NAS solution) as backup for a NAS server currently running FreeNas software?

After our horrible past with servers, we don't want to rely on another server to backup a server as Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect with us here. So we thought it be more beneficial to get an External HDD instead for backups.

We need a solid, and fast one if you guys can help us out.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Get this dual bay external box with 2x 3TB Green set as raid0 or BIG. You have a 6TB HDD to back up to with 3Gb/sec bandwidth

You can take the drive out for remote archive

codebreak

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008

Haha there are external HDDs out there that have an ethernet port for connectivity that are NOT NAS. And by NAS, my definition is no storage solution needing speparate software to manage and, potentially, screw up. Something to just work as a backup just in case out of the box.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Haha there are external HDDs out there that have an ethernet port for connectivity that are NOT NAS...

I never see such such thing. That would be interesting that you can link it ;)

I maybe wrong but anything connect to Ethernet has to have software mange. Period!

How do you control the IP, what protocol r u going to use: samba, FTP, NFS, iSCSI, ATP... These need to manage