Is it ok to use old thermal compound?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I found some Arctic Silver 5 that I probably bought 6 years ago when I had heat issues with my laptop. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of a reason not to use it for new heat-sink application. I would think it is ok, but I really don't know much about what it is made out of.

Solution
If you push on the plunger and nothing will come out.

Don't use it! :lol:

Sorry OP, couldn't resist.

AS5 from 6 yrs ago will still be good as long as it was capped and sealed, however most do not know that the AS5 today is an improved formula than what was on the market 6 yrs ago.

That information I attained from an Artic Silver company representative, when I was doing the Thermal Roundup.
If you push on the plunger and nothing will come out.

Don't use it! :lol:

Sorry OP, couldn't resist.

AS5 from 6 yrs ago will still be good as long as it was capped and sealed, however most do not know that the AS5 today is an improved formula than what was on the market 6 yrs ago.

That information I attained from an Artic Silver company representative, when I was doing the Thermal Roundup.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018
No, if it on the cpu cooler and kind of dried out, you know waht I mean? IF it is like super old and chalky, then I would advise cleaning it off, I actually put toothpaste instead of the thermals and the idle decreased by like 5 C. IT gets better the newer it is, if it is not opened.