Motherboard install

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hey everyone,

I completed a system build over the weekend. This was essentially my first build but technically I have replaced every part in a PC including the motherboard.

Anyways, the build has been generally successful but I was a little concerned with the install of the motherboard. Initially installing the screws I would just lightly tighten them. But some of them would start to give the slightest feel of tightening up and then just continue spinning. Everything seemed tight until I installed something and one screw popped loose. I couldn't get it to tighten at all so I figured that I stripped the threads of the stand off. So I took everything out and did it again, this time stopping once I felt the tiniest feeling of the screw tightening.

However, to me this seems really touchy. I'm almost worried that these screws are going to pop off. Is this how it is normally? I'm typically the type of person that likes to over tighten stuff to make it secure.

Any feedback on this would be great.

Thanks.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm wondering now if I used the wrong screws for the motherboard.

With the Antec 300 came a bag of thumb screws and another bag which contained two different types of screws and additional standoffs.

I ended up using the screws that had what looked like a built in washer and a domed head. I thought the other type with the cap type head were only used for drives.

Was I correct in doing this?

You can use whatever type of screw will fit the threads of the brass standoff. I usually use the larger hexagonal shaped head screws. It's not going to harm anything if you stripped a standoff, you can replace it. If you REALLY wrenched on it, and stripped the motherboard tray, you can just go without a mount there.

FYI, you don't have to screw them real tight.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Yeah I had to replace one. I find the smaller round headed screws don't fit as tightly so if any go loose I'll just replace with the other.