Help building new computer + Upgrading old one

orionflux

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime this year (likely in October when Windows 7 comes out)

BUDGET RANGE: Up to $4,000.00 for BOTH, but would like to be cost efficient and not waste money on garbage I don't need.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: CAD software, 3D animation, graphics, photoshop, mega multitasking, gaming, watching videos online (ie: netflix).. I'm an artsie fartsie gamer. lol

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor & an Antec P160W case. Feel free to upgrade those if need be. (I was looking at the LIAN LI PC-A7010B Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, ncix.com, tigerdirect.com, frys.com - anywhere within the US.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am not too biased in regards to brands, as long as it's a quality product, I am happy. I usually seem to pick Samsung or LG products, though. lol

OVERCLOCKING: Nope. I'm not that confident in my computer knowledge to be messing with that stuff. I would if I could, but for now, I can't, so nope!

CROSSFIRE/SLI: Maybe. Not sure which is better at the moment, though. It's been a while since I've looked at new cards, but won't take me long to come up to speed! Am thinking of getting a GTX 295. Opinions more than welcome!

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Current resolution is 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a more quiet PC. My current one can be heard while talking with people over the phone! (I mean THEY can hear it!) I definitely need some stuff for cooling, would like to include a sound card and surround sound speakers with subwoofer (doesn't have to be THE BEST, but pretty darn good) Definitely need new video card(s). I will also need to purchase an operating system, but was going to wait for Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENTLY SELECTED PARTS: (feel free to change them as you see fit)

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI (x8) + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Retail in a combo with:

EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

The combo is -$45.00 + $30.00 MIR for a total of $75.00 off

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail - selected because it's an i7 processor, is the least expensive and I figured it'd fit my needs sufficiently!

Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1600C9 G - Retail - It just popped up via NewEgg after I added something to my cart. I know Corsair is a good brand and it had good reviews and was the amount I wanted.. So I just added it to the cart. lol Oh, and it's guaranteed to work.

OCZ Z Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail - selected because of the efficiency rating, it's modular and it has 12 SATA power connectors.

SAMSUNG F1 RAID Class HE103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM - selected because of the storage space, the 32mb cache and it's 7200 rpm.

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L LightScribe Support - Retail - selected because it plays & burns regular DVD's, as well as Blu-Ray and can also burn duel layer.

LIAN LI PC-A7010B Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - selected because it has bays for 10 internal 3.5 SATA hard drives, is spacious, includes 6 120m fans, and seems to be pretty spiffy all around.. lol

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - It's pretty standard to have some of this, is it not? lol

Logitech G51 155 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers - Retail

Was also thinking of getting this monitor: ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers w/ component connector - Retail, but am on the fence.

Total, including S/H & Extended Warranty Fees (minus the monitor) comes to: $2,743.48; With the monitor it ends up being: $3,043.47

Minus the MIR Rebates: $2983.47 (including monitor) $2713.48 (without monitor)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT SYSTEM: (the one I'd like to upgrade)

2 x 1 gb OCZ platinum DDR2
250gb hd + 320gb hd (one WD one SeaGate)
OCZ ModXTreme Power Supply - I believe mine is 600 or 650 Watts (I forgot. lol)
Intel core2duo E6600 with stock HS
Samsung DVD burner/reader
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 7950gt or gtx. I forget which & I misplaced the box. :/
Mobo is an ASUS P5B Deluxe (no wireless)

I was going to just move everything over from this system to the new one & format the drives & give this computer to my parents, but I'd like to add some better cooling to it and some more memory. What do you folks think? My parents are in their 50's, and they just use the computer for surfing the web, watching youtube videos & basic computer stuff. They currently have a basic Dell P4 (which sucks!!) with a Dell 15 inch flat screen monitor.. I figured my old system would be a heck of an upgrade for them!

Oh, and as mentioned earlier, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor & an Antec P160W case for this system, which I can also give to them if I get something new. :) They have a keyboard & mouse already.

Okie dokie, thank you!