Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
VGA&HDMI ports to DVI?

Edit: I should have just post a pic to save sometime lol :lol:

Those such a switch exists?:
helpfrd.jpg

VGA=Input
HDMI=Output

Basically, I have a Viewsonic Va1903wmb LCD which has only vga cable that I connected to my GTX260 with a VGA to DVI converter

Now I plan to buy slim ps3(which does not ship with hdmi cables) and I plan to play it on my above monitor. I was thinking of just going for plain HDMI to DVI cable, but I didn't like the idea of constantly changing cables for switching between using my PC and ps3

I was wondering whether there exists a switch/connector where you can attach both VGA cable and HDMI cable to the switch which is then connected to my GFX card through the DVI Port

I tried looking around, but the google search results are very vague and frustrating to go through

Edit:

I was thinking a switch something like this: http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Smart-HDMI-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250987066&sr=1-13

If it doesn't exists, are there any other solutions for faster switching or am I stuck to switching between hdmi-dvi cable and vga cable-dvi converter?

Just for the heads up, I have 2 DVI Ports for my gfx card

Google can be such a hassle, and checking those results is sooooo much work /sigh.

Anyhow, unless I'm missing something, your monitor accepts only VGA. And you want to switch between two sources.

Your first task is to get each source to terminate in a VGA connector. That may require googling an HDMI to VGA adapater, or it may not depending on what your output options are on the PS3.

Your second task is to google for a VGA switch.

an1sh

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

Hmm, I tried googling it, took me to almost to the same results I previously googled

As for the HDMI to VGA adaptor, I dont think its a good idea since they both have different bandstreams

Btw, I posted a drawing of what I was looking for, I hope someone knows if that exists

an1sh

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

so you are saying I can't use my monitor to play on my ps3 unless I have a DVI/HDMI monitor?

@mousemonkey, that was rude lol, how on world was I suppose to know the name of such such switch

By the way, to revert back to my original question, please see the diagram, does such switch exists?, the one with vga input and hdmi output through the dvi port on my gfx card?

:lol: Ya, sorry about that (sort of) *sniggers*. There was a time that I had no idea of such things but I knew what I wanted to do. A HDMI + VGA switcher/KVM is what you need but they are not the cheapest things around. It sits between your PC (1st input via DVI/VGA) and PS3 (2nd input via HDMI) then outputs to your monitor via DVI, I'm not sure if there is one that outputs VGA but that's because I have not looked very hard for one.

What I am saying, quite clearly, is: If this is your monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116384&Tpk=Viewsonic%20Va1903wmb%20LCD

IT ONLY ACCEPTS VGA and composite video. Period. Which is why I told you how to connect both your devices to it. Convert to VGA, and buy a VGA switch.

Your original question is worthless since, if it existed, it would solve NOTHING for you.

an1sh

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

ah ic

Hmm, I should look into getting an lcd with dvi or hdmi output

It seems a lot of people advice against using hdmi to vga conversion cables and whatnot

thanks for the help