Sign in with
Your question

CM Hyper 212+ with i5 2500k

Last response: in Overclocking
September 17, 2011 4:24:17 AM

Hi everyone. I am almost finished configuring my first build. After doing my research, I am comfortable with the whole building process except the installation of the heat sink fan. How difficult is this? I'm getting the ASUS P8P67 board. Can improper application ruin my MB/CPU?

Thanks in advance!

More about : hyper 212 2500k

a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 4:43:59 AM

Aftermarket heatsinks are not too difficult to install. You can get an idea how it's done on the Hyper 212+ from the link below. The installation instructions with the HSF should walk you thru the process pretty well.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=241...
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 5:00:45 AM

Install the cooler onto the mobo outside of the case when you test your components by bread boarding. Just be careful not to over-tighten anything and you should be fine. Try not to use the cooler as a handle when installing the mobo into your case either.

The biggest danger to your board it that you put too much pressure on it and it cracks. But you will not do that realistically.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 1:47:26 PM

I have a 212 plus I found it easy to install.
a c 231 K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 2:01:15 PM

ARchamps said:
Hi everyone. I am almost finished configuring my first build. After doing my research, I am comfortable with the whole building process except the installation of the heat sink fan. How difficult is this? I'm getting the ASUS P8P67 board. Can improper application ruin my MB/CPU?

Thanks in advance!

Of course improper application can ruin it, but the instructions are very clear, just follow them to the letter, the CMH212+ comes with a steel back plate to protect the motherboard from warping, if the instructions have not been updated on the one you've purchased, the 1156 mounting instructions is what you use, the motherboard mounting holes are the same as the 1155.
a c 148 K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 2:14:39 PM

ARchamps said:

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the particular unit. The Megahalems is by far the easiest install I have ever done. The 212, while great "budget cooler" in its day has been superceded by the 612. Here's the install procedure for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8dDgKQ6s0

I am a bit annoyed that the reviews on this unit have been out for months but I still haven't been able to find one on the shelves yet. It does about 6C better than the old 212, though not quite as good as the noisy V6 GT or the very quiet Silver Arrow.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
!